Event Day Volunteer - Cancer Research UK’s Big Hike South Coast - 1st July 2023
Volunteer and help us take big steps to beat cancer!
Participants across the UK are limbering up to take big steps to beat cancer, but they can’t cross the finish line without the passion and energy of Event Day volunteers like you.
Our events generate vital income which funds our researchers who are working hard to make sure 3 in 4 people survive cancer by 2034.
Bring your energy, smiles and passion and let’s beat cancer together.
What kind of person we are looking for
We’re on the lookout for individuals and groups who are:
- Enthusiastic and willing to get stuck in.
- Flexible and who can use their own initiative.
- Team players – you’ll be joining a lovely bunch of other volunteers!
- Good communicators.
At Cancer Research UK we value diversity. We're committed to creating an inclusive culture where everyone is able to be themselves and to reach their full potential. We actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds and cultures and believe that a diverse volunteer community will help us to beat cancer.
Embrace the great outdoors during your volunteering
Spend some quality time in the great outdoors whilst meeting new people and making a difference.
What you'll be doing
As a Big Hike volunteer, you'll be getting hands-on to help deliver and provide a fantastic experience. No two days are the same, but you could find yourself doing some of the below activities, all of which play an important part*:
- Helping set-up and pack down the event (This may include signage, banners and marquees).
- Helping with event day catering by handing out food and drink to fuel our big hikers.
- Support on the course
You could be located at one of our support points or marshal points, giving directions to participants, cheering and encouraging our participants to keep them going along the course, or at the finish point handing out the well-deserved finisher medals.
- Answering queries at our information points
You could be helping answer queries from participants and spectators during the event. From simple directions to swapping t-shirts and replacing hiker numbers.
*This is just a sneak peak of some of the ways you could be involved and is not an exhaustive list. No matter what you do you’ll know you are making a huge difference to those taking part.
What’s in it for you
Volunteering at Cancer Research UK’s Big Hike has a host of benefits, including:
- Developing new and existing skills in event management.
- Gaining valuable experience for future roles.
- Gaining a unique insight into the world of the charity sector.
- Meeting new people and having fun.
- Travel and other reasonable expenses reimbursed, as agreed in advance with your Event Manager. Please see the Volunteering Policy.
- Helping to make our events happen and beating cancer sooner.
- And last but not least, a fantastic day to remember.
Your commitment and location
Cancer Research UK’s Big Hike events will take place in the following locations in 2023:
- Peak District National Park – Saturday 3rd June 2023
- Loch Lomond – Saturday 10th June 2023
- The South Coast - Saturday 1st July 2023
- Jurassic Coast - Saturday 8th July 2023
You can join us at one or more of our events at locations which work for you.
Hours can vary, some roles have early starts or late finishes but we'll always discuss your availability with you!
What support we provide
Upon attending your volunteering you will be briefed by one of our friendly event team staff when you arrive so that you know exactly what you'll be doing.
You'll be supported and guided by them and the Event Manager throughout the event.
We'll also provide refreshments, lunch and dinner (as required), a t-shirt and a great atmosphere which you'll be sure to love!
Ready to apply?
In 2023 we are looking to fit volunteers into the following shifts:
Morning shift: 06:00 - 12:00
Afternoon shift: 12:00 - 19:30
All day: 06:00 - 19:30
On your application form in the ‘Application details’ section, please indicate which shift time you would be able to commit to.
If you'd like to join our crew of Big Hike volunteers, just click on the Apply Now link at the top of the page, fill out the form and we’ll be in touch.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.