Cancer Awareness Chair - Relay For Life Ipswich
Apply right now!
Why we need you
“Cancer never sleeps, and neither do we”
Relay For Life is a year-round team fundraising challenge bringing communities together to beat cancer.
Teams of friends and family fundraise for life-saving cancer research, then join a 24-hour celebration showing that together we are stronger than cancer.
We aim to raise maximum awareness of cancer in the local community at every Relay For Life event. This is a unique and empowering opportunity which highlights the power of research, reminds us of the importance of early detection, and informs about the signs and symptoms to look out for.
What will you be doing?
- Planning and coordinating engaging and fun activities for the event attendees to participate in to promote cancer awareness
- Providing information and communicating simple cancer prevention messages
- Using the resources available to you, engage attendees in a fun, creative and inspiring way.
- With the aid of online Cancer Research UK resources, obtain up to date and accurate messaging suitable for Relay content.
- Work closely with other chairs to plan and coordinate activities for teams on the day
The type of person we are looking for
You do not need to be an expert in cancer research or cancer prevention. However, a healthy interest in physical wellbeing and a desire to encourage positive healthy habits in others is important. You will have a positive approach and be comfortable speaking in public. You will be resourceful and imaginative in your approach and have excellent organisational skills.
What you can expect from Cancer Research UK
- An induction and ongoing support and guidance from your Local Fundraising Manager as well as fellow volunteers
- Advice on how to set up and promote a variety of cancer awareness events
- Wider support via the Relay For Life network across the rest of the UK
- We will reimburse agreed out of pocket expenses
What benefits can you get from this role?
- Meet local like-minded people who are working together to raise money for Cancer Research UK
- Development and support on your logistical, event management and leadership skills
- Know you are helping Cancer Research UK bring forward the day when all cancers are cured
- Be part of a fun, inspiring and community driven event
How much time do you need to commit?
You will be expected to complete our online training modules using the Learn for Life platform. Planning generally begins 9 months prior to the Relay. We expect you will attend all Relay For Life meetings. These will most likely be monthly, as the Relay gets closer, these may become weekly with responsibility intensifying as the Relay draws closer.
Your role in particular requires liaison with the other Relay group members, and regular contact with the wider team is essential.
Where will you be based?
This is a home based role, however a large part of your role will include you being ‘out and about’ in the community e.g. venue site visits, committee meetings etc.
Please fill in our online form. If you have any questions, please contact your Local Fundraising Manager, Nichola Whymark via email@example.com or 07789776214.
Join us today and together we will beat cancer sooner.
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
We are committed to giving you the best experience possible and believe that the volunteer relationship is one of honour, trust and mutual understanding.