Art for Research - Volunteer
Do you have a passion for art, encouraging children to get creative and raise money for cancer research? Then this is the role for you. This opportunity is an exciting way to encourage children to enhance their creativity whilst raising money for Cancer Research UK. Art for Research is a new competition open to all schools nationwide for children from Reception up to Year 13.
Children are our future researchers, fundraisers and life-savers. We work closely with a number of schools who raise millions of pounds each year for life saving research through fundraising, whether that’s dress-down days, taking part in one of our campaigns, signing up to run their very own Race for Life or taking part in our Art for Research competition, bringing together students and schools from across the area! With over 32,000 schools in the UK, schools can have a huge impact on the pioneering and vital work carried out by Cancer Research UK.
What will you be doing?
As an Art for Research Volunteer, you should have some basic knowledge of the schools in your community – or an excellent network which can introduce you to key schools. You will be responsible for making contact and building relationships with these schools with an offering of a fundraising opportunity, giving them support as and when required to help them maximise them fundraising.
Some of the things you may experience include:
- Speaking to different staff members of the school about Art for Research
- Supporting and encouraging the school to put together a presentation or assembly to educate children on CRUK or fundraising
- Keeping a report on schools contacted, progress and expected fundraising
- Regularly chair and attend meetings with other volunteers
- Liaising with your CRUK staff contact to order fundraising materials for schools
- Attending fundraising events to offer additional on the day support
- Thanking schools through certificates and cheque presentations or school assemblies
Please note that you may be required to complete further safeguarding/vetting checks as requested by individual schools. Some schools will not allow you on their premises without such checks.
The type of person we’re looking for?
Individuals who have experience working with or at schools, colleges, youth groups or universities is desirable but not compulsory.
In terms of personal qualities, we are seeking to recruit:
- Confident individuals who are committed to working closely with each school over the school year
- You will need to be proactive, passionate and not afraid to contact schools
- You should also be approachable, flexible and able to attend occasional meetings or events with school staff within school hours (usually in the mornings 8:30am)
- We are looking for someone who understands the potential safeguarding concerns involved when liaising with educational establishments
- Communication skills (phone, email and in person)
- Presentation skills – information presented to teachers and students
Where will this role be based?
All roles will be home based with travel to schools and organisations within your community – this ‘area’ can be agreed with your CRUK staff contact.
How much time do you need to commit?
As this is a flexible volunteering opportunity this is something to discuss with your staff contact, but we’d be looking for our volunteer to be available regularly between September - July to coincide with school fundraising. We expect this role to on average be half a day a week, exceeding this during Art for Research exhibition weekends.
We will provide full training on the project; Cancer Research UK information packs will be supplied and training on volunteering for Cancer Research UK. Register your interest today by completing the online application form and the Volunteering Team will then get in touch. If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Why we need you
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person. We need you to help us by volunteering. Play a part in this inspiring story and volunteer. Help us to create more tomorrows.
Welcome to Volunteering booklet
We want you to get the most out of volunteering with us and feel supported. The Welcome to Volunteering booklet will give you an overview of everything you need to know about your time with us.