David Haye announces his biggest fight yet
David Haye, former world heavyweight champion, today took to twitter to announce his next fight against his toughest opponent in aid of Stand Up To Cancer. David ‘The Hayemaker’ Haye tweeted a short film to break the news to his 1.13m followers.
To donate £10 text FIGHT to 70404
View the film here: https://youtu.be/SV6CVADhv9c
The film, which shows him training in the gym before turning to the camera to make his announcement, is part of a campaign by Stand Up To Cancer to encourage the nation to join the rebellion and smash cancer.
David Haye said: “I know there’s been a lot of speculation about my next fight and who I will be stepping into the ring with. I just wanted to use some of that hype to shine a light on something I feel strongly about. That we need to come together, right now, and smash cancer.
“One in two people in the UK will be diagnosed with cancer. I don’t scare easy but I do find that a terrifying thought. That’s why we need to raise money for Stand Up To Cancer to fund research that will get new treatments and cures to patients sooner so that we can save more lives.”
Stand Up To Cancer’s social media campaign encourages the nation to smash cancer in their own way. Celebrities, companies and the public are being encouraged to share videos of themselves destroying objects that show the word cancer alongside #StandUpToCancer, ahead of the live-show on Channel 4 at 7pm on Friday 21 October.
Other celebrities who have taken part include:
- The cast of This is England
- Paul Hollywood
- Jon Snow
- Warwick Davis
- Jorgie Porter
- Jack Dee
- Steph and Dom
- Kevin McCloud
Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising campaign from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4. Launched in the UK in 2012, more than £25 million has been raised in the UK, supporting more than 30 clinical trials and projects.
Twitter has also donated a twitter emoji to support Stand Up To Cancer, which appears every time #StandUpToCancer is used. To join the rebellion against cancer, go to: www.standuptocancer.org.uk or follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/standuptocancerUK and Twitter: https://twitter.com/StandUp2C
For media enquiries please contact the Cancer Research UK press office on +44 203 469 8300 or, out-of-hours, the duty press officer on +44 7050 264 059.
Notes to Editor
* 1 in 2 people in the UK born after 1960 will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime
About Stand Up To Cancer (UK)
- Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising campaign from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4
- Launched in the UK in 2012, Stand Up To Cancer funds translational research, accelerating new cancer treatments and tests to UK patients to ultimately save more lives
- More than £25million has been raised in the UK to date and 30 trials have been funded, involving more than 9,000 cancer patients
- On Friday October 21st Stand Up to Cancer returns to Channel 4 with an unmissable night of live TV
- Teaming up with YouTube for a second year, there will be more fun and games with some of the internet’s best-loved Content Creators including Zoella, Joe Sugg, Caspar Lee, Niki’n’Sammy and many more
- Stars such as Naomi Campbell, Noel Gallagher, Nicole Scherzinger, Pharrell Williams, Tom Hardy, Gillian Anderson, Britney Spears, Idris Elba, Andy Murray, Bradley Cooper, Taylor Swift, Martin Freeman, Jamie Oliver, Kathy Burke, Miranda Hart, Paul O’Grady, Richard Ayoade, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Jack O’Connell, Lily James, Rosamund Pike, Sophie Turner, Stephen Graham, Toby Jones and Will Poulter are just some of the talent who have supported Stand Up To Cancer
- To find out more about fundraising activities visit Standuptocancer.org.uk or channel4.co.uk/SU2C or follow us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram