Stand Up To Cancer hosts first of its kind YouTube party
This autumn, a host of YouTube’s brightest stars such as Caspar Lee, Dan Howell, Jim Chapman, Joe Sugg, Marcus Butler, Phil Lester and Pixiwoo will join forces with celebrities to take part in an interactive, record-breaking 12 hour live streamed event for Stand Up To Cancer, a joint national fundraising campaign from Cancer Research UK and Channel 4 to accelerate ground breaking cancer research.
“All the money raised at this event will go directly to Stand Up To Cancer’s work to accelerate new cancer treatments and tests and ultimately it’ll help save more lives.” - Claire Rowney, director of Stand Up To Cancer
‘YouTube Stands Up To Cancer’ will harness the power and global reach of YouTube, with vlogging superstars joined by well known faces from film, television and music to do what they do best – live on YouTube.
Hosts, including Niki’n’Sammy, Oli White, Stuart Ashen, SORTEDFood and Tomska plus celebrity guests will take part in exclusive Google hangouts, live performances and offer money can’t buy prizes.
The action-packed event, produced by Princess Productions, part of Endemol Shine Group, will go live at midday (GMT) on Saturday October 17th and will run until midnight. Creators from around the world will host the live streamed event from YouTube’s HQs in London, New York and LA. To find out more go to: standuptocancer.org.uk/youtube
Joe Sugg and Caspar Lee said: “We’re honoured to be part of YouTube Stands Up To Cancer and we’re looking forward to helping raise lots of money and kicking cancer's butt.”
Pixiwoo said: “We’re so honoured to be given the opportunity to help raise money for Stand Up To Cancer. It's an amazing campaign, involved in important work and we're looking forward being able to positively contribute in our own small way.”
Claire Rowney, director of Stand Up To Cancer, said: “We’re beyond excited about this event, it is unlike anything we’ve done before and it’s been great to see how many people have pledged their support. The Content Creators reach millions of people who we hope will be excited to get involved and donate funds for this vital cause.
“We’ve made amazing progress against cancer in the past few decades but one in two of us in the UK will develop cancer in our lifetime so we can’t afford to stand still. All the money raised at this event will go directly to Stand Up To Cancer’s work to accelerate new cancer treatments and tests and ultimately it’ll help save more lives.”
Stephen Nuttall, senior director at YouTube said: "This is a fantastic and ambitious project in which we're hugely proud to play a part. The stars of YouTube are watched and loved by passionate communities of millions of fans - who will no doubt rally around this important cause and campaign, crossing borders and boundaries to raise money and awareness for cancer research. I can't wait to see the content produced by standing together on this."
Emma Hardy, Princess Productions managing director, said: “We’re immensely proud of winning this commission and partnering with both Cancer Research UK and You Tube on such a groundbreaking event. On October 17th, we’re going to bring together a fantastic selection of hugely talented Creators and raise loads of money for such a worthwhile cause.”
Launched in 2012, Stand Up To Cancer’s fundraising total has so far reached over £23.8m to fund clinical trials across the UK.
For media enquiries, please contact the Cancer Research UK press office on 020 3469 8315 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For out of hours, please contact the duty press officer on 07050 264 059
Notes to Editor
About Stand Up To Cancer (UK)
Stand Up To Cancer is a joint national fundraising event from Channel 4 and Cancer Research UK
- 2014’s campaign raised £15,585,444.15
- In 2014, the live TV fundraising event on Channel 4 was hosted by Davina McCall, Alan Carr and Dr Christian Jessen and featured celebrity interviews and moving real life stories
- Stars such as Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Noel Gallagher, Nicole Scherzinger, Pharrell Williams, Tom Hardy, Benedict Cumberbatch, Gillian Anderson, Britney Spears, Idris Elba, Andy Murray, Bradley Cooper, Taylor Swift, Martin Freeman, Jamie Oliver, Kathy Burke, Miranda Hart, Paul O’Grady and Richard Ayoade are just some of the talent who supported Stand Up To Cancer
- Visit Standuptocancer.org.uk or channel4.co.uk/SU2C for further information
About Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK is the world’s leading cancer charity dedicated to saving lives through research.
- Cancer Research UK’s pioneering work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer has helped save millions of lives.
- Cancer Research UK receives no government funding for its life-saving research. Every step it makes towards beating cancer relies on every pound donated.
- Cancer Research UK has been at the heart of the progress that has already seen survival rates in the UK double in the last forty years.
- Today, 2 in 4 people survive cancer. Cancer Research UK’s ambition is to accelerate progress so that 3 in 4 people will survive cancer within the next 20 years.
- Cancer Research UK supports research into all aspects of cancer through the work of over 4,000 scientists, doctors and nurses.
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
About Endemol Shine UK
Endemol Shine UK is behind a diverse range of hits including Big Brother, Black Mirror, Broadchurch, Deal or No Deal, Grantchester, Masterchef, Mr. Bean, One Born Every Minute, Peaky Blinders, Pointless, Sunday Brunch, The Fall, The Island, The Million Pound Drop, Vicious, 8 out of 10 Cats and many more
Labels within the UK Group include Artists Studio, Bandit Television, Brown Eyed Boy, Cave Bear Productions, DSP, Dragonfly, Fifty Fathoms, House of Tomorrow, Initial, Kudos, Lovely Day, Princess Productions, Remarkable Television, Shine North, Shine Soho, Shine TV, Tiger Aspect, Tigress and Zeppotron.
The company is part of Endemol Shine Group – the global global content creator, producer and distributor with creative operations in over 30 markets, with a portfolio of over 600 revenue generating formats across scripted and non-scripted genres; coupled with digital, gaming, and distribution operations.