Jenni Falconer looks hot but keeps cool as she launches new summer campaign
Despite the recent wet weather putting a dampener on the British summer, in between showers the sun is still making an appearance. And when it does, it’s important to enjoy it safely.
The partnership between Cancer Research UK and NIVEA SUN will highlight the simple steps people can take to keep themselves and their family safer. When the sun is strong, it’s important to use a combination of shade, clothing and at least factor 15 sunscreen to protect yourself, whether that’s in the UK or abroad.
Recent research conducted by Cancer Research UK highlights why the campaign is so important. Even though 81.8 per cent of people are aware that too much exposure to the sun is the main cause of skin cancer, only 44.1 per cent use SPF 15+ sunscreen, less than a quarter (24.3 per cent) cover up, and just 13 per cent spend time in the shade.
Not only does overexposure to the sun lead to an increased risk of skin cancer, it can also affect your appearance, causing sunburn, wrinkles and premature ageing.
Jenni, known for her fair skin, said: “I’m really delighted to be supporting the new campaign between Cancer Research UK and NIVEA SUN. We all get a buzz of excitement when the sun comes out, but by following their advice, you can make sure you keep safe at the same time.
“Personally, I think it’s incredibly important to look after your skin. I always try to keep a small bottle of sunscreen in my handbag, cover up and spend some time in the shade when it’s sunny. There are some really great outfits that not only keep you protected but keep you cool too, so there’s no excuse to get caught out. This is my first year as a new mum as well, and so I’ve been particularly careful about keeping my daughter safe. Children’s skin is so delicate so I try to keep her out of the sun as much as possible.”
Yinka Ebo, senior health information officer at Cancer Research UK said: “The sun has been playing a game of hide and seek this summer, but there’s no hiding from the fact that overexposure to the sun’s rays can be damaging. That’s why we’re working to raise awareness of the steps people can take to enjoy the sun safely. This partnership will raise millions of pounds for our lifesaving research into skin cancer, and hopefully prevent it from affecting so many people in the future.”
Jenni is supporting the launch of the first phase of the partnership, which takes place in July 2012. Over the course of three years, NIVEA SUN will raise millions of pounds which will go towards Cancer Research UK’s skin cancer research. As well as fundraising for the charity, NIVEA SUN will be promoting key health messaging through an advertising campaign which will promote some simple advice that people can follow to stay safer in the sun:
- Use at least factor 15 sunscreen. Put an ice cream scoop of sunscreen on when you’re out in strong sun. Sunscreen rubs of easily if you sweat, swim or change clothes. So whether you’re in the UK or abroad, when the sun is strong remember to apply plenty of factor 15 or higher, regularly.
- Cover up. Wide brimmed hats or foreign legion style caps are best when the sun is strong, as well as a t-shirt and a good pair of sunglasses.
- Spend time in the shade if your shadow is shorter than you. Between 11am and 3pm, when the sun is particularly strong in the UK, spend some time in the shade.
Graham Taylor at NIVEA SUN said: “We are incredibly proud to be supporting Cancer Research UK. We all need a bit of sun to keep us happy and healthy, but the important thing is to enjoy it responsibly and safely.”
For further information about how to enjoy the sun safely, visit www.sunsmart.org.uk
Notes to Editor
About NIVEA SUN
- NIVEA SUN is the UK’s favourite suncare brand*
- NIVEA SUN is also the World’s No. 1 Brand for Kids Sun Care**
- The products created by NIVEA SUN are suitable for the whole family with added benefit ranges including Pure & Sensitive, Protect & Bronze and Invisible Protection.
- NIVEA SUN is dedicated to research and development of products that protect, giving the freedom to enjoy the sun safely, whenever and wherever you are.
*Kantar World Panel Suncare, UK data 52 w/e 25.12.11
**Euromonitor International Limited; NIVEA by global brand name in the category Baby and Child-specific Sun Care; in retail value terms; 2011.