Bobby Moore Fund's celebrity supporters gather on the 'West' course
The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK is hosting another of its successful celebrity golf days, sponsored by Citigroup, on Wednesday 2 May at the luxurious Wentworth Club, Surrey, to raise vital funds for research into bowel cancer.
The action will take place on the esteemed 'West' course, familiar to millions worldwide through the annual PGA and World Match Play Championships.
Last year, the event raised over £100,000 for bowel cancer research and celebrity participants included Jamie Redknapp, Steve Davis MBE, Will Carling MBE and David Seaman MBE amongst many others.
Cancer Research UK, in partnership with Stephanie Moore MBE, established the Bobby Moore Fund in 1993 following Bobby’s death from bowel cancer in the same year. The Fund raises money for research into bowel cancer and awareness about the disease. Bowel cancer is a curable disease if caught early, yet it still claims 45 lives every day in the UK. In the 16 years since Bobby died, the Fund has raised over £6 million for bowel cancer research.
Twenty seven teams will start the day with a hot breakfast before commencing 18 holes of golf. This will be followed by a champagne reception, three-course dinner and an auction of exclusive sporting memorabilia.
Stephanie Moore MBE said, "It’s great to be hosting another Golf Day, which we hope will be even more successful than last year. It’s a fantastic event for corporate entertainment or simply a good day out with friends and a great opportunity to raise funds to beat this terrible disease."
To enter a team for the Golf Day, call Margaret Rose or Alex Warner Smith on 0207 009 8881 or visit the Bobby Moore Fund homepage for more information.
For more information, pictures of previous events or interviews, please contact Jessica Borton, Cancer Research UK Press Office, T: 020 7061 8492 or, out of hours, the duty press officer on 07050 264 059
Notes to Editor
- The cost for a team of 4 is £2,500, which includes a cooked breakfast, golf, champagne reception, three-course dinner and entertainment
- The Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK Golf Day is kindly sponsored by Citigroup
Cancer Research UK
- Cancer Research UK's vision is to conquer cancer through world-class research.
- The charity works alone and in partnership with others to carry out research into the biology and causes of cancer, to develop effective treatments, improve the quality of life for cancer patients, reduce the number of people getting cancer and to provide authoritative information on cancer. Cancer Research UK is the world's leading independent charity dedicated to research on the causes, treatment and prevention of cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7009 8820 or visit our homepage.