As the World Cup approaches grab a piece of sporting history
AS THE build-up to the football World Cup reaches fever pitch, the Bobby Moore Fund for Cancer Research UK is offering all sports fans the chance to get their hands on an exclusive piece of sporting photography at its Sporting Focus event.
Sporting Focus, a specialist exhibition of inspiring, memorable and iconic images from football and other sports, is taking place at Christie’s on 31st May. In this unique event, every main ticket holder is guaranteed to take home one of the photographs displayed, with the evening culminating in a special draw to determine who takes home which image. The event also includes an auction of rare and collectible sports art and memorabilia.
Classic images in this year’s exhibition include:
- Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer captured in a ‘pistols at dawn’ pose by Terry O'Neill
- Geoff Hurst scoring the winning goal for England in 1966
- The iconic 1966 image featuring Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst, Ray Wilson and Nobby Stiles with the World Cup
- Ayrton Senna, pictured just before his final race - the San Marino Grand Prix - a lasting tribute to a great sportsman, photographed by Pascal Rondeau
- Muhammad Ali before his fight with Henry Cooper by L. Trievnor
- Roger Bannister at the finishing line of his record-breaking mile, taken by Norman Potter
As this year sees the 40th anniversary of England’s World Cup victory, Sporting Focus offers a timely opportunity to raise money in memory of Bobby Moore, the only England captain to ever lift the trophy. Bobby was only 51 when he died from bowel cancer in 1993. Since then, the Bobby Moore Fund has raised money to tackle bowel cancer.
Stephanie Moore MBE commented: “Sporting Focus is a fantastic event - not only is it a really enjoyable night out, attended by the great and the good from the world of sport, it’s also a fabulous opportunity for people to own a classic sporting image.
“Every day bowel cancer claims 45 lives in the UK. The Bobby Moore Fund is dedicated to raising money to help reduce this number.”
For tickets or more information call 0870 609 1966 or visit the Sporting Focus website. Tickets are priced at £175 or £50 for a guest ticket and the event begins at 7.00pm with a champagne reception.
For more information on the Bobby Moore Fund visit the Bobby Moore Fund website
For media enquiries please contact Jessica Borton in the Cancer Research UK press office on 020 7061 8492 or, out-of-hours, the duty press officer on 07050 264 059.
Cancer Research UK
- Together with its partners and supporters, Cancer Research UK's vision is to beat cancer.
- Cancer Research UK carries out world-class research to improve understanding of the disease and find out how to prevent, diagnose and treat different kinds of cancer.
- Cancer Research UK ensures that its findings are used to improve the lives of all cancer patients
- Cancer Research UK helps people to understand cancer, the progress that is being made and the choices each person can make.
- Cancer Research UK works in partnership with others to achieve the greatest impact in the global fight against cancer.
- For further information about Cancer Research UK's work or to find out how to support the charity, please call 020 7009 8820 or visit the Cancer Research UK website