Decorative image

Getting diagnosed

You usually start by seeing your GP. They will examine you and might refer you for tests or to a specialist. If the tests show that you have carcinoid, you have more tests to find out how big the tumour is and whether it has spread. This is called staging.

Seeing your GP

What happens when you see your GP and how to get the most out of your appointment.

Referral to a specialist

Find out when GPs refer people to a specialist.


See which tests you might have to diagnose and stage carcinoid.


Find out why there is no general screening programme for carcinoid tumours.

Last reviewed: 
02 Jul 2016

Information and help