Worried about bowel cancer

Hi 

wondering if anybody can offer my anxious mind a little reassurance? 

Im a 22 year old new mum- I joined slimming world and then stopped as the diet didn’t seem to be working for me, I decided that it was maybe a little too soon to start stressing  about dieting since having our daughter 12 weeks ago. It started when we would get a takeaway on Friday night, throughout the night I would be up and down to the bathroom with diarhea. No blood, no vomiting, no tummy pains really just more of a gurgle to signal I need to go the toilet, again. At first I put it down to the oil in the take aways, considering I never cook with oil, only frylight all week, I concluded that that was what must have been upsetting my stomach. However recently it has been happening every couple of days. Again, I don’t feel unwell, I just get the urge to go to the toilet and it’s like water. This can happen then I can either not go for a few days or I can go and the stool is normal and solid however the diarhea does eventually crop up again in a few days time. I went to see my gp and he felt my tummy and said it sounds like IBS but has made me do a KIT test to rule out bowel cancer. I sent the test off yesterday and am anxiously awaiting the results. I am petrified of cancer and have extreme health anxiety so the fact that he has insisted in checking for cancer has sent my mind into overdrive. Google is my worst enemy however I cannot stop scaling it for reassurance every chance I get. Has anybody had anything like this before and it has been something innocent? Any info would be much appreciated. 

Molly Xx

• Hi Moljunex. Welcome to the forum.

The first thing I should say is that I'm not a doctor; the second is that bowel cancer in someone aged 22 is really really really unlikely. Your doctor is simply being ultra-cautious with the bowel cancer test, so please try not to worry about it.  

As for your symptoms, it is quite possible that IBS is the culprit.  I developed IBS in my early 20s after a very bad attack of gastro-enteritis.  That was over 40 years ago, and I've struggled with bowel problems ever since. I'm now 65. I've had a colonoscopy, and a number of FOB stool tests, and each time it's been clear of bowel cancer.

However, you might not have to struggle as I did, because the situation regarding IBS has changed.  Two years ago, my GP referred me to a dietician, who put me on something called the FODMAP protocol. This involves excluding a number of food groups from your diet for a few months, then cautiously re-introducing them until you find the food(s) which trigger your symptoms. Everybody's triggers are different, so your triggers won't be the same as mine. 

Once you get the all clear from your tests, I suggest you return to your GP and ask about being referred for the FODMAP protocol.  I won't lie to you - it's not easy, but it has transformed my life. I'd hate for you to go through the 40 years of bowel issues that I've had!