Worried

I was single mum of 4 young chilren under 5 when We met back in 1999 he was your typical bachelor , he lived2  hours from me so we allways saw each other 3 to 4 days  a week an was allways a text or phone call away we dated for  6 years we split  2007 we got back togethe 2009, we split 2011 we got back together 2013 we split 2014  , erratic but this guy was my life but he was unmarried ,no children , comfortable financially, I was totally opposite , skint all the time running round kids , I gave him the chance to go meet someone who he could marry have his own children with  but he allways came back,, anyway there's the basic background  ,9 months ago yes we got back together again talked and decided we have wasted a lot of yrs the children have got their own lives now, I'm on my own why don't we just do this  he said I said yes ,, he lived 2 hours away and said he was going to relocate with me as I have the children and grandchildren  to be near and this was all gonna happen last month ,  I received a call  sayin he wasn't well and that he was going doctors he wouldnt be coming up,,,,  a week later he told me that he had  been diagnosed with incurable cancer of the stomache, I couldn't speak ,,,2 days later he won't talk to me won't answer my calls or texts I'm heartbroken I know he needs space I know he's going out of his mind I know not to bombard him  I don't know what to do I sent a text telling him I loved him and respected his wishes not wanting to talk but his he ever going to talk or is that it

• Hello Taomeye,

Thank you for sharing the background to your love story - wow you were a single mum of 4 children under 5 you must have been super busy and it must have been great at the time to have this very special relationship despite its ups and downs.

How sad that now the children are all grown up and you were starting for once to think about yourself, he has been diagnosed with incurable stomach cancer. I can imagine it left you speechless. It sounds like he is having difficulties coming to terms with this devastating news and that he is taking a bit of distance from the projects he was also looking forward to and perhaps he also feels he has to protect you from all this. It is hard to know really what is on his mind but I am sure he appreciated your text telling him you loved him and that he knows that you are there for him if he needs to talk.

I have regularly read similar stories on the forum of how a relationship with someone can be deeply affected after cancer strikes. I hope you will hear from some of our other members who have been in a similar situation with a loved one and that they will tell you how things developed for them and perhaps give you tips on how to communicate with him at the moment and what to do when the person you love the most has been diagnosed with cancer and seems to be a bit more distant as a result.

Let us know how things progress I hope it all works out well for you both.

Best wishes,

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator