Waiting for breast biopsy results

Hi

im new to this, but what I’ve read so far has helped me. I had a recall after my first mammogram, and went yesterday for the appointment. Everyone convinced me I would be fine, so after two further mammograms and two ultrasounds, I was terrified when I also had to have core biopsy on my right breast. The radiographer said I had a blob (I asked if it was a lump) which I didn’t have in my left breast. She said it could have been there ages, but as they didn’t have a previous X-rays to compare it to, she wanted to do the biopsy. She said I would hear a loud click, and she took 6, and then inserted a marker. I’m driving myself crazy now, thinking all sorts. 

Anyone else had a marker inserted? I’ve never heard of this, and it makes me worry they think it’s bad. 

I go 30 April for the results, but that seems so far away. Any advice would be helpful

thank you for listening to me 

xx

•  

Hi Sudi,

I am sorry to hear about your worries following your mammogram and subsequent tests at the breast clinic. First of all let me assure you that it is perfectly normal to have mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies at your first visit to the breast clinic. It is also commonplace to have a marker inserted.

Waiting for results is always a scary time. Try to keep yourself as busy as you can meanwhile, as this helps to distract from the wait. Are you taking anyone with you when you return for your results. It is always a good idea to take someone with you to all of your appointments if you can. It is also helpful to draw up a list of questions to take with you to your appointment.

Hope that it all goes well on 30th April.

Do please let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi Jolamine

Thank you for the kind words. To be honest, it was the marker thing that scared me the most.  I thought it was so the surgeon knew what bit to remove.Then I though it must be bad cus she clicked the biopsy thing 6 times. I was trembling and crying by the 6 th click. 

I feel so well at the moment, that all this has totally knocked me off my feet. 

My husband came with me when I had the biopsy, but they wouldn’t let him in. They said it was too hot in the small  room, there were two nurses (one a trainee)  plus the radiographer and me. 

Hes coming with me again on 30th 

im terrified-trying to be positive is so hard. But this site helps me a lot. You ladies understand and are so amazing. 

Thank you 

xx

•  

Hi Sudi,

Most of us attending the breast clinic feel well, so a cancer diagnosis often comes as quite a shock. We would also agree that waiting for results is one of the most stressful parts of our cancer journey.It really is difficult to stay positive. We often find that our emotions are all over the place and we tend to turn to tears for the slightest thing. Still, crying is a good stress reliever. The biggest thing really is fear of the unknown.

I am glad to hear that your hubby is gong with you for your results on 30th. There should be no problem with him going in with you this time. You will feel better once you get a diagnosis and know what is happening. Even if there is a positive result, which I hope there isn't, we tend to feel better once we know what treatment is planned for us and can start to move forward.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on. I have my fingers crossed for good news.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi

Thank you for that reply. 

All you ladies really are helping me get through this waiting. My family and friends are great, but they only seem to want to believe that it will all be ok, and that might not be the case. 

Thank you again.

XxX

•  

Hi Sudi,

We all think the worst at this stage, but hopefully your family will turn out to be right. Of all people referred to the breast clinic only 1 person in 10 turns out to have cancer, so fingers crossed that you are one of the lucky nine.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

• Hi my dear, I'm 66 yrs of age& had the biopsy in left breast 2yrs ago,now in 2022 just had biopsy in right boob, have got too see consultant next mon 15 august, I also had the marker placed inside, nothing to worry about.  Hope all be well with you. Love from Linda xx