Very Worried

Hi

My Dad has been admitted to hospital with a brain lesion, after we took him to A&E.  Ive been told by the consultant on duty at the time, that this lesion is 5cm x 4cm.  My Dad has had bowel cancer in the past.

Due to covid, my Dad is not allowed visitors.  I have taken his phone in for him but he has difficulty using it and its very difficult to talk to him as he is very confused and is unable to string a sentence together unfortunately.

He has been in hospital for 4 days.  I have called the ward for updates, once in the morning and evening.  I have been told every time I call that he is waiting for his MRI scan.  My Dad tried to tell me yesterday on the phone that he had been somewhere but it was impossible to dicipher.  So, today when I rang the ward, the nurse said the usual about waiting for his MRI so I asked her if he had been anywhere yesterday and explained what he had said.  She said they took him down yesterday but couldnt get the canular in so couldnt do it.  If I hadnt have asked her, she would not have mentioned it, so what kind of an update is that.  When I rang last night, why did they not tell me?  Its very frustrating, I appreciate they are very busy, but in light of not being able to visit and being his next of kin, surely its not too much to ask that they keep me up to date?

• Hello Jollymolly

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad's admission to hospital and the problems you're having with getting information about his condition from the ward. It's obviously a worrying time.  

Can I suggest that you get in touch with the hospital PALS department. They are they to assist in these kind of situations. 

I hope that he is able to have the MRI soon and that you have some answers. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator