Terrified

I've always had a sensitive stomach, so when I found blood with mucus after a bowel movement in April I thought nothing much of it. I've continued to have soft bowel movements but again didn't get too worried because of past issues. I rang the doctors and the nurse didn't seem worried either. Fast forward 5 months and I've lost about 8lbs and I'm iron deficient. Now putting all these symptoms together I'm worried sick, I already have anxiety and struggle to sleep, I hope to God they don't take ages with a colonoscopy appointment, I need to be seen to asap.

• Hello RedStarPony

I'm sorry to hear that you've been dealing with some health concerns over the past few months. It's understandable that you're feeling anxious but try to remember that there could be any number of reasons for the symptoms that you've described. 

The important thing is that you've spoken with your GP surgery and that they are now arranging the appropriate investigations for you. Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long for the colonoscopy appointment but it may be worth giving the department a call to see how long their waiting list is. If you're able to attend at short notice you could also mention this in case a cancellation becomes available. 

If you'd like to talk through your concerns with one of our nurses you're welcome to call them on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. I'm sure they will be happy to offer any information and support that they can to help you in the meantime. 

I do hope you have some news soon. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

• I had months of rectal bleeding over the summer. Also noticed I had lost maybe a stone in a year and had occasional loose stools - average of once a week - and had a couple of weeks of bad gas pains and trapped wind. I had a colonoscopy a month ago and all they found was hemorrhoids. I know this is limited reassurance, but just to let you know that even with a combination of symptoms, the odds are still against cancer. Depending on your age, they may be very strongly against it. My consultant said that in my case, the chance of cancer was less than 1% but still did the colonoscopy to be sure.

• Not quite every day, but I'd say at the start, it was maybe four or five times a week? It eased off after a while, but for the first few weeks it was pretty regular.