Terrified

Hi 

my 20 yr old daughter has been bleeding with bowel movements for quite a while. A Qfit in July was negative but bleeding continued. A Qfit in December was over 400. She's just had a sigmoidoscopy and is now having a CTC, once the bloods are done, so probably in next week or so. Please tell me there are other reasons for bleeding a Qfit result that is so high. 

• Hi Ivysmum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear about what has been happening. It must be a worrying time for you both.

A positive FIT test shows that you have bleeding occurring somewhere in your gastrointestinal tract. This blood loss could be due to ulcers, bulges, polyps, inflammatory bowel disease, or haemorrhoids (piles).  Anything that sticks out into the intestine, like a polyp or tumour, and is rubbed against by the faeces as it passes through, can bleed.

Unfortunately, no one on this forum can tell you what might be causing the bleeding.  You said that your daughter has had some tests and is waiting for results, which is always difficult.  Some people find it is helpful to keep busy.  There are some ideas here to help manage those feelings of worry while you wait.

Hopefully you will both know more soon.

Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Take care,

Rachel