Tamoxifen

Hi, I was diagnosed with grade 3 stage 1 breast cancer  HER2 negative.  After many complications including the chemo I eventually finished my radiotherapy in February 2019.   
the chemo brought on early menopause and along with tamoxifen I have a load more systems.

I have made the decision to stop the tamoxifen and am seeing the oncologist next week, I have seen a gynaecologist who has said that my estrogen and progesterone levels should be in singles figures and mine are in their 80's.

has anybody else had this and come out the other side?

along with flushes, night sweats and no sleep for nearly a year I'm at my wits end.  All they ever give to help is anti depressant, tried about 6 different times and none of them help.   Have tried all herbal and over the counter stuff, again nothing helps.

any suggestions welcome

• Welcome to Cancer Chat Madtyl although I'm sorry about the difficulties you've been having on Tamoxifen.

It sounds like it's been very tough but I'm glad you're seeing your oncologist as they may be able to move you on to something else that will suit you better. 

Many of our members have been in similar situations so will understand what you've been going through and hopefully you're receive some support and advice from them soon.

If you'd like to talk things through with someone in person then go give our cancer nurses a call. They're available on 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9a.m - 5p.m. 

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• I was diagnosed with hormone receptive breast cancer in March last year. Had a lumpectomy, chemo and radiotherapy and now on Tamoxifen. The flushes are so debilitating, often every half hour. Then I can start shivering and that goes on until the next flush. I'm tired, anxious and emotional and feeling very low. I'm wondering whether to continue with the Tamoxifen.

I'm also still managing pain from cording (Axillary Web Syndrome) and neuropathy. I've no idea when and if these things improve. 

• Hi there ..

This is one of the most often talked about thread ... when I was first put on it, l was strait on an emotional rollercoaster ... crying over everything .. and I think I'm quite a tough cookie.... no one told me about that side effect .. it did settle, and I took it for the next 2 years ... over the last 6 months every bone and mustle in my legs got to be in excruciating pain .. I had ostio and other arthritis for years .. so wasn't sure what was causing it ...

Now this is my journey and everyone should make their own mind up ... but for me, I found out it gives us 3 to 4 %  better chance ... that's what I was told ... for me, I decided I could no longer live like that , in that much pain .. so gradually stopped to see it the pain eased ... that was over a two month period,  so to ease it gently ... I can now manage the pain , and for me was worth the chance ...

But please do your homework, ask about the facts ... and if you do come off, just understand you may be in that 3 /4 % that it will help ... whatever you do, do it slowly and get advice .. one lass I know on here, is still in pain a year or more down the line ... so everyone should do what's right for them ...

Good luck it whatever you decide ..  Chrissie  x

• Hi

I read on another thread somewhere that different manufacturers (brands) of tamoxifen might cause different side effects. Not sure how true that is, I've been taking tamoxifen since December and only get a bit of hip pain but that could be a side effect of the chemo. I start zoladex next month, a bit anxious about it tbh. 
    I hope you can work it through with your oncologist for the best solution for you.

wl