Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Tablets for 5-10 years after Radiotherapy

14 Aug 2019 12:16

Morning everyone on this wet wet morning here,

im off to get my dressings changed today,has it really been 7 days since they took that C out of my right boob...

live been researching the tablets as have been told I will have to take Letrazole,but found that the one with the least side effects is Femara? Any advice or thoughts on this please ?

Jackie xxx

16 Aug 2019 09:20 in response to Jackie77

Hi Jackie77,

I hope you're getting on OK with your continued recovery.

Unfortunately I'm not able to advise on your question, but please do talk this through with your doctor so you are fully informed about what you'll be taking.

Otherwise if anyone here has any experiences they can share on this then hopefully they'll be along soon.

Wishing you all the best,

Ben
Cancer Chat Moderator

16 Aug 2019 09:29 in response to Jackie77

Hi there Jackie I would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts on this too. I had a lumpectomy five weeks ago and they found invasive cancer in the tissue they took. Yesterday went in for sentinel node biopsies. Will have to wait another four weeks for the results but been told will need radiotherapy and then tablets for five years afterwards. Would be nice to have some information beforehand to be aware of side effects etc.

Good luck on your journey and hope all goes well for you.

Mary x

16 Aug 2019 10:29 in response to MaryT19

Hi Mary,

i only had my op 9 days ago,but need to be informed of what we will have to be taking and side effects etc although I know other people react differently,

Have you started your radiotherapy yet? 

Im waiting to see Consultant now for next step.... 

At least we can both say it’s gone after having had our operations!!!

Love Jackie xx

16 Aug 2019 11:01 in response to Jackie77

I had to have the sentinel node biopsies yesterday as they want to check it’s not travelled anywhere else so won’t know for four weeks now. Have been told I will have to have radiotherapy and medication but it won’t start until possibly October as won’t know results of yesterday until mid September then we are away for a week at end of September.

All best wishes on your journey, let’s keep in touch 

Love Mary xx

16 Aug 2019 11:46 in response to Jackie77

Hi jackie

isnt Femara another name for letrazole? Im moving from tamoxifen to letrazole in a couple of weeks time. I found each woman reacts differently to the drugs, some have no side effects while others are beset by them.

having been through some horrible side effects with tamoxifen I’m hoping letrazole will be a breeze.

16 Aug 2019 11:59 in response to Magpiemaggie

Hi,

Yes Femara is another name for Letrazole but have been told to ask to have that one as it’s the purest and not full of fillers!! 

So sorry you’ve had a bad time on Tamoxifen.... let’s hope Letrazole is far better for you!!

Much love Jackie xxx

18 Aug 2019 20:38 in response to Jackie77

Hi ladies,

i was really worried about taking tamoxifen as I’ve never been very good with pills, couldn’t take the pill, had a reaction to clomid.

ive been in it for 8 weeks and feel pretty good, I take it very early morning then by about 10pm I’m pretty exhausted, I took it later in the day once and was like a zombie the next day. 

My breast nurse always said though that you can change brands if you find you are suffering x

18 Aug 2019 20:54 in response to Ploppy

Hi Ploppy,

As I’m post menopause Letrazole I’ve been told is the one I’ll have to take but if not suited to it there are others I can try!!! 

I’m going to push for Femara as have been told it’s the best one of Letrazole but still learning with all of this.... will ask Consultant when I go on 27th when I’m hoping he will have the results of my tumour biopsy? Have sent you a private friend request lovely.

xxxx

4 Sep 2019 18:33 in response to Magpiemaggie

Hi Maggie,

Have you started on Letrazole yet? hope you are getting on ok with it?

Would be so interested to know how you are going!!

Love Jackie xx

6 Sep 2019 20:23 in response to Jackie77

met with oncologist the other week. She prescribed anastrozole as she says it comes with less side effects. I have to say it has reduced the hot flushes and night sweats. Still have stiff joints though but so far so good. Did yoou get Letrazole? When do you start your radiotherapy?

6 Sep 2019 20:32 in response to Magpiemaggie

Hi Maggie,

Seeing Oncologist not until 16th as she only works 2 days a week!! That’s interesting to know and I’ll have to ask her given ive got Multiple Sclerosis,I need one with the least joint pains as get enough especially in my legs..... 

i hsvent hesrd anything about Radiotherapy so not sure who books me in for this? I was hoping Oncologist will but I’ve a weeks holiday booked on 5th October and booked before this bloody cancer made it’s self known so hoping I can still go but obviously I want to be sure that it doesn’t affect this cancer that’s gone chance to start coming back...Love Jackie xxx

6 Sep 2019 22:27 in response to Jackie77

Hi Jackie 

Sorry I thought you had seen the Oncologist. The oncologist will organise your radiotherapy as she will have to look at how you are healing and that its healed enough to start raiotherapy., its frustrating that we are not given care plans that have all of this information, wrong to keep patients in the dark. 

I'm sure she'll take your MS into account. A holiday sounds just what the doctor orderedHappy

xx

8 Sep 2019 15:37 in response to Magpiemaggie

Hi Maggie,

lim hoping she will say a holiday will be good but I guess that would delay my Radiotherapy unless you can do 10 sessions have 5 off then back for the last 5 but thinking I need to have it all in one go to insure no floaters left of this ****.... 

You are so right no plans in place just wait from appointment to appointment to find out what’s next.... which doesn’t help you get your mind into a positive place!!

Love Jackie xxx

8 Sep 2019 16:24 in response to Jackie77

Hi Jackie when I went to an information meeting run by the Macmillan nurses at my hospital they said there that the three weeks has to be continuous and not to miss any unless you’re sick etc. 

I go back for the results of my lymph node biopsies this week. Had lumpectomy but they found invasive cells in  tissue so had to go back again for another op. Seem to have spent all summer waiting for results!

hopefully will then get my plan for radiotherapy and be able to move forward a bit instead of being in limbo

Hope all goes well for you

Love Mary xx