Swollen lymph node in neck

I have had a large swollen, painful lymph node in my neck for a couple of weeks and a smaller one for a bit longer. I was thinking it was an inner ear infection but I have had no ear pain. I've had no other infection symptoms either. Spoke to the doctor today who is sending me fir bloods and an X-ray. He feels it's unlikely to be an ear infection. Obviously now worried but I think the node has gone down a little. If it was blood cancer do lymph nodes swell and then go down or are they permanently swollen?

• Hello Amandabubble

I'm sorry to hear that you've recently noticed a swollen lymph node. You've done exactly the right thing in speaking to your GP and it's good to hear that they are arranging for you to get this checked further. 

It's understandable that you're feeling anxious about what may have caused this problem. Try to stay positive and remember that there are many things that can cause swellings and lumps. Hopefully, you won't have to wait too long for the appointments and the results will bring good news. 

In the meantime, if you want to chat to one of our team of nurses about your concerns you're welcome to call them on 0808 800 4040, Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm. 

Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator 

• What was the outcome here. I am experiencing something similar. Thanks

• Hi!  Fortunately all my blood tests came back clear (apart from having slightly low potassium. The large gland went down and I felt better so I think I had some kind of infection. I do still have the small gland up (it hasn't changed size) but I don't think that's unusual plus given my bloods being ok I'm not too worried. Hope your outcome is good. Have you spoken to your doctor?

• Thank you for responding so quickly and glad to hear everything is good for you. I saw dr yesterday and theybordered bloodwork. Just got results today and everything that has come back so far on the online portal looks fairly normal. I had hoped White Blood Cell count was elevated to show some kind of infection. My red blook cell count is at the top of the UK normal range, and so is Hemoglobin and Hematocrat. I am based in the US but I am from the UK - so that's why i can see results online so quicky.

• I just noticed you had said yours was painful. Mine is not painful.

• Interesting - I'm in the UK and didn't know I could get my results online! Yes the larger lymph node did hurt but the small one doesn't. I had an operation 18 mtgs ago and they checked my blood count and it was really high. Is that a bad thing? 

• I am in the US that's why i can view online. Originally from the UK. If WBC is high it suggests your body is fighting some kind of infection.