Struggling

So, my mum has been diagnosed. We don’t know a great deal. 4 weeks ago she was told she had secondary liver cancer and then 2 weeks ago she was told she had primary liver cancer. My mum lives in Spain and I am in the UK. It’s really hard being away from her. She is in absolute agony even though she is using pain patches and morphine tablets. She still hasn’t had an appointment with her oncologist. We don’t know which stage she is at, however after reading up it’s likely it’s stage 4 as it’s already spread to her liver from her stomach. The consultant she seen 2 weeks ago seemed confident that chemo would help to shrink her stomach tumour and that would allow her to have surgery on her liver. She seems to be getting more poorly whilst waiting for her oncologist appointment and it’s breaking my heart. I am so worried that by the time she sees someone it could of spread more. I just don’t know what to do 

• Hello Katieted18; welcome to the forum.  I am not clear from your post whether your mum has any other family members (or close friends) out in Spain with her or whether she is totally on her own.  If the latter is it possible for you to go out there to see for yourself and have a face-to-face conversation with her.  I can understand that you are concerned by the bits of information you are receiving.  If you could go there you could at least find out what is happening; I imagine at least some of the medics speak English - I am not just assuming this but have been told that now there are many English expats there  there are lots of bilingual professionals.  Are you able to do this?  Annie

• Hi Annie

Sorry I didn’t make that clear, she lives with my dad out there. She does have some Spanish friends that have been helping her but it’s the waiting around. She’s really struggling and told me today she’s fed up with herself. She doesn’t even know her staging yet she just knows what type, again just waiting around for oncologist