stage 4 metastatic stomach cancer

Hi All,

My wife was diagnosed with cancer after she had initially suffered from a perforated stomach ulcer. She has been told it is a stage 4 metastatic cancer that has spread to her bowels and is inoperable. she due to start on FOLFOX tomorrow.

Whilst i know every cancer is different but are there questions we should be asking about whether this treatment is the best.

Also are there better options if we go private 

Any advice would be welcomed

Dave

• Welcome to Cancer Chat, davere, although I'm sorry to hear about the reasons that bring you here.

Hopefully others who have been in a similar situation will come along shortly to chat with you and offer advice as talking to those who can relate does seem to ease a bit of the burden.

As you mentioned your wife was to start FOLFOX on the 12th I wonder how did it go? Also, we have some information on our website about this cancer drug I wanted to leave here in case you feel that this can help.

Our lovely team of cancer nurses are available for a chat too if you want to speak to someone medically trained over the phone. You can reach them on this phone number: 0808 800 4040, Monday - Friday between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Wishing you and your wife all the best,

Renata, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Dave

Im so sorry to hear about your wife’s diagnosis. 

I have stomach cancer but it is contained at the moment, I can’t offer any advice, however, try the Macmillan stomach cancer forum, there are people there whoa be more useful. I know there’s at least one lady who is stage 4 and living a good life. 

Another site is the Oesophageal patients association page, they have lots of information for all gastric cancers and also have a forum on Healthunlocked page you can join their community https://www.opa.org.uk/  https://healthunlocked.com/oesophagus

i wish you and your wife all the best x

• Hi Dave,

I am so sorry your wife has received this diagnosis. My dad also has stomach cancer and it's now looking like it's possibly metastasized to his bladder, as a growth has been found there.

My understanding is that the oncologist is the one who will have determined what is felt to be the best first-line chemo combination for your wife. In my dad's case, he's been offered XELOX/CAPOX, but it's debatable as to whether he will actually be fit enough (long story).

If you can afford to go private, my personal advice would be to get a second opinion.

When the husband of an aunt of mine had inoperable lung cancer, he started his treatment with the NHS, but there came a point when they told him there was nothing more they could do for him. At that point, he remembered he had got work-related private cover, so used it to his advantage and then went private. In my dad's case, private healthcare sadly isn't an option.

• Hi, my month in law has been diagnosed with stage 4 womb cancer. Please could you kindly give us some advice. Her condition is it has spread to neck area. she is undergoing an operation this Wednesday. Doctors has not mentioned about chemo as yet. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
  • Hi

Just sharing this info which I received from an NHS oncologist... I was advised to request a Micro Satellite (MSI) test. It indicates whether immunotherapy would be a good option for me or not. A low result means “no” and a high result means “yes” immunotherapy would be good.

Apparently immunotherapy is licensed as a third line treatment and there is a patient access scheme for upper GI patients. Immunotherapy is free for nhs patients (subsidised by the pharmaceutical co.s) while NICE decides whether or not to support immunotherapy.

Previous biopsies of the peritoneum nodules or stomach biopsies can be used for thetest.

Thanks