Someone to talk to

Hi, my name is Nadia and I am a long term cancer survivor. I was diagnosed when I was 8 years old and finished treatment when I was 11. As a child, going through that whole process was quite easy at the time as I wasn't fully aware of what cancer was, what I'd have to go through, the pain and side effects, etc.

I am now 18 years old and recently, I have become more reflective about my past. I look back at what I went through at such a young age and get very emotional about it. I have an amazing support network with my family, however, not so much with my friends. My friends are caring and they do listen to me, but they didn't go through it with me as I wasn't friends with them at the time of my diagnosis. Of course that doesn't matter, but I sometimes feel as though they don't want to talk about it as it is a 'depressing' topic, which one of them has said in the past. When I think back to when I was ill, I am so grateful for the NHS and the amazing and incredible team of nurses and doctors, but I can't help to be selfish and ask why me? Or why anybody really! I am so priviledged to live in a country where there is a free health service, where I am surrounded by a good support network, and yet I can't help but think negative about all of it.

After I had finished my treatment and was getting back into the routine of things, I pushed my illness and everything relating to it to the back of my mind and just carried on with my life, as a way of coping with what I went through. At the time of my diagnosis, I couldn't do things other children my age could do. One time, I was in a PE lesson in primary school, and the teacher told everyone to do three laps running around the playground, but she said that I could do three laps walking instead. This was followed by my class mates telling me how lucky I was. I remeber ignoring her rules and running two laps before getting too tired to run any further. I constantly felt left out, and felt as though I wasn't a 'normal' child who could do 'normal' things. And so, pushing my illness to the back of my mind and carrying on with my life made sense, it was the easiest way to get back to normality. Although, this was a coping strategy, I do regret having done that as I have never been able to talk openly about what I went through. I even find myself sometimes feeling ashamed and embarrassed about what I went through, as if it was my fault when it wasn't. When telling someone what I went through, I instantly regret it. I get filled with a sense of shame and embarrassment, I honestly don't know why. And I don't regret it because of the person I told, I regret it more because I've told someone about a vulnerable part in my life, which again makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed. A lot of my friends and family tell me that I shouldn't be ashamed and I know I shouldn't but I can't help it. I was wondering if anyone else felt the same sometimes or could give me some advice?

I recently went to a psychologist provided by the hospital to talk about my thoughts and feelings. From speaking with the psychologist, I could see that I was a very guilty person, in the sense that I felt I held a lot of responsibility for what happened to me. I felt bad that my siblings had felt left out when I was going through treatment and my parents were focusing their attention on me. I understand this wasn't my fault but it was just the way I felt. And my siblings weren't in any way angry at me or my parents. I was talking to my sister the other day and she said she found that when I was going through chemo, she struggled at school. Although having talked to a psychologist, I feel like I still need to talk to someone - another cancer survivor who is in the same boat as I am. Of course my family and friends are good people to talk to, but they don't really understand what I went through and I would like someone to relate to. 

• Hi Nadia and welcome to Cancer Chat.

I'm sorry for what you went through when you were young but I'm really pleased you came through it and are here with us on the forum today.

You'll find many members here who are cancer survivors - [@Hazelgrace]‍ was diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia when she was 6 years old - and hopefully some of them will be along soon to say hello and share their experiences with you.

I do hope the psychologist continues to help you work through your thoughts and feelings but remember you can chat to us here any time as there will always be someone here to listen and who will understand what you're going through.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hello Nadia, I hope you are well. I just read your post and wanted to say it bought  tears to my eyes . My daughter is 15 and started her first cycle of chemo on Tuesday. I can see where you are coming from when you talk about the feelings of shame and embarresment and I know its silly but I can help feeling this way too, I dont know why I feel this way but other than my siblings and parents  I havent told anyone and have forbidden my husband from doing the same.

I feel a little lost as a parent. I hope you dont mind me replying to your post as now that I have read it back it offers no solution or support.

• Hi,

Thank you for replying to me, I really do appreciate it. I am very sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope and pray that she gets through it. It's horrible to go through at that age, well any age really, but especially at a time in your life when you're developing aand finding out who you are. One piece of advice I can give to her and to you, is to always keep smiling and think on the positive side.

Going through chemo, you don't realise how much it affects loved ones. It's comforting in a way to know that I'm not the only one who feels embarrased or ashamed, but out of curiosity, can I ask why? From speaking to my parents, they felt a little lost at times. I think naturally you would because you don't have any idea of what's going on and what the future holds. Thank you again for replying and I hope this helps. 

• Hi. I know this is an old post but I've just come across it. Im a childhood cancer survivor. I had it when I was 6 and finished treatment at 8. It can be a isolating expereince. when I think about it all I get upset as well. 

you're welcome to messege me if you still want someone to chat to x

• Hi, 

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for replying, I really appreciate that I can talk to someone who has had a similar experience. May I ask your experience with it if you don't mind? x

• Oh how your journey has touched my heart ...

One thing that shone out was you felt about the word brave ... well I read once the definition of brave is "being scared witless but still doing what you have to anyway " 

I see you started this last year ... I really hope the councilling worked .. and you k ow your not alone.. lots of us find it hard to talk about our cancer journey... because once treatments finish, nearly every One wants to put it behind us ...  move on .. not dwell .. but in reality , its when we look back and realise just how traumatic it is .. thats when we need to talk about things .. thats why we come on here ... we get it .. weve lived it .. we understand ...

You know you are so good with words , l think you could write a little book for young ones and their families so the adults could understand young ones even more ... l wonder if you did, I'm sure a cancer charity would get it published even if just for their charity to give out .. you could do a little at a time .. I'm sure others would benifit .. but I know that's a huge task, but you've probly helped others that have read your story ... sending you a vertual hug...  Chrissie  

• Hi, 

Thank you for your message, your kind words were very much appreciated. It's funny that you should mention writing a book as I have tried numerous times to start writing one but always felt silly and didn't know what to write and so discontinued it. But hearing you say how much it would benefit young children, teens and parents, has given me the push to do so

Nadia x

• Oh wow ...

I've done a lot with young ones who are effected by cancer ... and have learned a huge amount .. but your the first young one who has had their cancer journey ... your own story ..  l did years ago a creative writting course .. and a few tips l learned was ..

Split it down to 4 or 5 stages ... name the stages .. I.e diagnosis... then tests and what you felt on those results .. what did your parents tell you .. treatment ... and side effects ... then end with how you feel now . Like you did on that first time you wrote here .. 

Then do one section at a time ... remember the feelings .. and I'm sure there where times that made you smile .. and I know on my journey there was things that really made me laugh .. then feel guilty as l felt l wouldn't.. but now I still find that side of me that finds some situations funny ... they are important ..

It doesn't have to be a long book .. just those smaller hand books that are easy to read ... a good title someone has on here, is "the good and the bad" a cancer journey .... on one of those threads ... 

I wrote a little book years ago .. about my amazing dog .. I've kept it for me .. and my family .. but when I look back on it every so often, I'm touched that there's things I can't remember now ... and l wrote it over many months ... and although some parts I wrote like the day my mum died .. still bring a tear to my eye .. at those feelings layed bare .. but oh after I'd finished .. I'm so glad I did it ... 

I'll be first in line to read your amazing story .. of bravery .. pain ... sadness .. and hope .. and those sweet memories you may have had along the way ...   Chrissie  

• Oh wow, thank you so much. I honestly can't tell you how grateful I am for your support and help. I have written smaller books in the past as a hobby but your tips will definitley come in handy. I will definitley keep you posted along this writing journey, and again thank you for your help. 

It's lovely that you do your own writing and I understand how writing is a great outlet and can bring back those memories of happiness, sadness, pain and loss. Thank you for sharing this with me. 

Nadia x

• Thats ok, dont worry about late reply. If I add you as a friend on here we could inbox, may be easier than talking on the forum but up to you.