Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

We know it’s a worrying time for people with cancer. Please read our information about coronavirus and cancer alongside this page. If you have symptoms of cancer you should still contact your doctor and go to any appointments you have. Spotting cancer early means treatment is more likely to be successful.

Read about coronavirus and cancer

Side effects

16 Sep 2020 09:28

Hi guys,

I've very nearly finished my first cycle of BEACOPP and have had no side effects of beacopp apart from queasiness. Am I just one of the lucky ones with very little side effects??

Thanks,

T

Side effects

16 Sep 2020 11:37 in response to Teddycc

Hello Teddycc and thank you for posting a question. I am sorry to learn that you are having treatment for Hodgkin lymphoma, but I am glad to learn that so far the treatment has gone well.

To be honest, because Hodgkin lymphoma is not particularly common and there are different regimes that are used to treat it, I have personally come across very few patients who have had the BEACOPP chemotherapy regime. So I have little to go on. But I do have a lot of experience with chemotherapy in general and I have found that how people experience it can be very variable. A few people seem to get almost all of the possible side effects, while others only experience a few. It is not always easy to predict how an individual will react. In theory one would expect fit people to cope better, but this does not always follow. 

While, I certainly do not want to damp your spirits in anyway, you may find that the going gets a little tougher as you progress through the cycles. By this I mean that you might feel more fatigued. This is relatively common. But I am aware of people who get through with next to no problems and I hope that this is the case with you.

Please get back to us if you have any other questions. You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,

Jean