Secondary Breast Cancer

Hi, in 2011 I was diagnosed with bilateral breast cancer.  Had double mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiotherapy and for the last 6 years been taking Tamoxifen.   I have just now been diagnosed with secondary breast cancer metastatic to lymph nodes in multiple sites - liver, lung and bone.

I saw oncology on Monday and I will be having a weekly chemo of Paclitaxel for 18 weeks and also every 4 weeks Denosumab.

i am concerned, not sure what to expect and whether I can cope health wise.   I have just got out of hospital with pneumonia and breathing very bad. 

If anyone has been through this if they could please advise how they coped.

thank you

ILEX

• Welcome to the forum Ilex although I'm sorry about your diagnosis and for the reason you are posting.

I know you're wanting to hear from others who have been in similar situations so I've had a quick look through the forum and wanted to put you in touch with [@mare]‍. She was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer 6 years ago and her experiences may be able to help you at this time so fingers crossed she'll pop along when she can to introduce herself and tell you more. [@Jmlmll]‍'s wife's secondary breast cancer has spread to her lung, liver and bones just like yours so again, now I've tagged him in this post he'll hopefully reply soon to offer his support and advice.

Do have a chat with your medical team about your worries and concerns as they will be able to give you a rough idea of what is to come and how to cope. If you need it they should be able to let you know what practical support is available to you at this time as well.

Good luck with your chemo Ilex. I hope it goes well and that you're able to get through the treatment without experiencing too many side effects.

Kind regards, 

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hellooo Ilex. And thank you Steph. Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, but I don't check my email much in this beaufiful weather (out walking cos I've put on weight again, cos I wasn't active enough over winter and was stuffing my face!) Yes I'm around :) and still here, and going pretty well at the minute. It's exactly 7 years since I was diagnosed- after taking myself to hospital with breathing difficulties.

I have lived through that horrid metastatic diagnosis stage, and had a good fight with cancer, and had mental battles, and now have regained a lot of my fitness (even though the cancer was/is widespread throughout both lungs and liver, it has shrunk with treatment, and was small scar tissue (or inactive) at last scan). I remain mostly positive. Oh yes of course there's still a load of bad days as I am still adjusting to how life is now. Do we ever stop adjusting?

Cancer has changed me. For the better in many ways. And I will never take anything for granted ever again. It has helped me see that life is precious and each moment to be lived, and it has made me stronger and more determined than I ever was before!

I have many strategies that helped me to cope. It was not easy. But so far so good. And I would gladly share them with you :)

Just ask me anything, on here, or message me. I will never give advice, but I will happily offer friendly support and encouragement and tell you how I faced/face each day, and give you ideas telling you the stuff that worked/is working (I hope...) for me.

Huge big hugs,

Mary