Scared of chemo

I had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy on 5th march and when i went for my results on wednesday the doctor said my lymph nodes tested positive and i need chemo.  Im really scared as i hadnt prepared myself for that.  Because we foumd it early i thought they would say i needed radiotherapy.  Im trying to stay positive but inside im petrified.

• Hi there is a discussion about chemotherapy on the forum, it might give you a better idea of it. There are a lot of people who have had chemo.and a lot still having it( .Some) have no side effects at all the main thing it can make you better.

Billy 

• Running sue,

i was scared too about chemo, I'm now gearing up for my third cycle, I'm on fec for breast cancer.....it isn't a walk in the park but it's doable.....happy to chat with you any time Hun xxxx we got this 

• Hi marlyn

How do u feel after each session? What side effects do u have? How long will u be on chemo for?  Im a single mum to twins who are almost 13 (tomoro in fact!!) And im scared the effect it will have on them, they have been little superstars looking after me when i had my op. I have a massive support network of family and friends who are taking me to my appointments and doing my shopping.   Sue xx

• Hello,

your support network will be invaluable, except all the help that is offered. My first cycle was horrible, I ended up in hospital ( please don't let that put you off) and so my next dose was reduced ( they do everything to keep you well during chemo) my second cycle was so much better! My overriding side effect has been fatigue, but I never push myself, everyone reacts differently on chemo...a friend of mine is flying through chemo with hardly any effects, she even goes into work on the day of chemo! Stopping at a Burger King on her way! 

If you want to chat I am happy to message you? Xxxx

• Hi

i read your message and wanted to reply as I feel the same as you. My chemo starts on Wednesday and I’m totally petrified. Never thought this would happen to me. I’m young and healthy, no cancer in my family. I’m devastated and feel my little heart constantly racing in terror. 

Please let me know how you get on and I will tell you how my first session goes this week.

best wishes 

Catherine xx

• Hello catherine

Mine doesnt start for another week or 2, i meet the oncologist on tuesday to discuss my treatment plan.  Please let ne know how you get on on wednesday, how u feel afterwards.  It would be great to message and support each other.   Sue xx

• Hi Sue

yes I will let you know how it goes. I’m meeting the oncology tomorrow for the first time. I’m so scared, it’s really going to sink in tomorrow, don’t want today to end. I’ve had family round today, we’ve sat in the sun in the garden, the kids have been giggling and playing.  

Do you have children? It’s them that I’m fighting for but it’s also them that is making this so unbelievably hard, they are my world and I feel I can’t breathe when I think of the possibility of not making it through this.

oh god, I’m sorry, I’m normslly a positive person but this is something I just can’t handle.

how are you feeling Sue? What’s your diagnosis?

love Catherine xx

• Hi catherine

Yes im a single mum to twins who are 13 today.  I want to stay positive for them but inside im petrified.  I lost my mum to breast cancer in february this year so my daughter thinks im going to die too.  My mum passes very quickly as she didnt tell anyone she had breast lumps and by the time it was found it had already spread to her liver, lungs and bones.  My mums cancer was HER2 positive whereas mine is grade 2 invasive ductal.   I got checked because of my mum and i thought it had been found early enough but its already spread to my lymph nodes.

I know how u feel about being happy and having your family around.  I wish this wasnt happening to you or me, im scared how i will react to the chemo, if i will lose my hair, will i be sick every day.  I heard some people carry on with their normal lives and go to work and some cannot get out of bed.  Im seriously dreading these next few months xxxx

• Oh Sue

Firstly, happy birthday to your gorgeous girls. Wow, two teenagers!! I’m praying that one day I see my five year old daughter reach that milestone. I’m so sad of the possible outcome due to the ages of my children but I suppose it doesn’t get any easier. So sorry about your mum, you must be so scared. I was a single mum to my son but met Chris and we went on to have Maisie now 5. So we are a family but the thought of me not being here is too sad to comprehend. Feeling like I can’t breathe with the anxiety. Everyone keeps saying I need to sort things like writing my Will (I know I should have done this ages ago) but I haven’t even been able to cook a meal since getting my news. 

Im exactly the same as you, scared of being sick and loosing my hair - I have long blonde hair which has always been my safety blanket, I rarely even wear it tied up cos I think I look weird.

so you’ve already had surgery? What did you have? They initially thought I’d go straight in for a mastectomy but then they found it in my lymph nodes in my chest which they can’t remove so they’ve said I need to get on with chemo. If they tell me it’s not worked, I am going to break down, feel like my heart would just stop with news like that. I can’t bear this Sue, I just can’t. Feel like I need to be tranquilized or something. I’m not coping at all. Petrified of tomorrow xx

• Hi catherine

In my op they did a sentinel node biopsy and a lumpectomy.

Im telling myself and my children (boy/girl twins) that im having treatment to get this *** out of my body and for the next 6 months im going to feel or be sick, im going to be very very tired and i may lose my hair but after that i will be well again.  Im positive on the outside and petrified on the inside.  

You will be there to see your lovely children grow up and so will I.  We just need to keep each other strong and we will get there, we can support each other.  Im sure u will have family and friends helping u, as i have too, but its good to know someone who is going through this too.  

I will be thinking of you tomoro.  Please let me know how u get on.

Take care

Sue xx