Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Scared i have ovarian cancer

9 Oct 2017 22:39

I am a 38 year old single mum to 2 young children. I'm so scared I have cancer. My symptoms started about 12 weeks ago with lower abdominal pain, back pain, bloating and frequent urination. The gp thought it was a kidney infection. I was given anti biotics but tests came back clear. I am still in alot of pain manly on my left side abdomen. The doctor thinks the pain is my ovary. 

The pains are now mainly left side lower abdomen and back near kidney area. Bloating, breast  tenderness/pain. Frequent urination and aching legs.

My blood tests came back clear. I have been waiting 3 weeks and still no scan date. The doctor today said she would chase it up. I'm sorry for the long rambles post just wondered if anyone had similar symptoms. Im so scared for my children with me being a single mum and having no family and i have no close friends. 

Many thanks 

Re: Scared i have ovarian cancer

10 Oct 2017 12:11 in response to Scaredmum

Hello Scaredmum and thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn about your situation, most people on the forum will understand that this is a difficult and stressful time for you.

It may help to say that ovarian cancer is rare in your age group, most women who develop ovarian cancer are over 50. The symptoms you describe can be caused by benign (non-cancer related) ovarian tumours and cysts. Only about 6% of ovarian tumours and cysts are cancer related. So it is much more likely that your symptoms are not cancer related. I am not sure if your blood tests included a CA125. If this was normal this is also reassuring.

I can appreciate that until you have the pelvic ultrasound it is not possible to say what your situation is with any certainty. I am not sure if your doctor is aware of how you are feeling. It may help to let doctor know particularly if it is interfering with you getting a good night’s sleep. They may be able to provide you with some support and medication at night in the short term until you get a diagnosis. Things can often seem worse if we are tired.

I am sorry that I cannot be more helpful but hope that you get a scan appointment soon. You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our telephone service.  The number to ring is freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

With kind regards,

Mary

12 Oct 2017 21:18 in response to CRUK Nurse Mary

Thank you for your reply. I chased up my pelvic ultrasound today and i was told that urgent referals are currently running at up to 6 weeks waiting times.

I also have pain that has just started in my left armpit. Do you have any idea what that could be?

Many thanks

20 Oct 2017 16:10 in response to Scaredmum

Hi Scaredmum

Thank you for your further post.  I apologise for not getting back to you sooner.

I am also sorry to read about the delay in the urgent referrals for ultrasounds in your area. And I can only imagine this is a worrying time until you have all the information.

Unfortunately, I am unable to say what this new pain may be in your armpit. It may not be anything related to your original concern, and the only suggestion I have is to revisit your GP (if you haven’t already) to be examined.

I often speak to people who are in the process of waiting for their urgent suspected cancer referral appointment who notice other symptoms. These may not be anything to do with your original complaint and could be just a simple ache or pain. I think it’s such a worrying time that you can over think any pain. So, try see the GP and they may be able to provide some reassurance at what this could be.

I am sorry I have been unable to be more specific and hope you know more about your situation soon. Please do get back to us if you have any more questions or call us on 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm.

Best Wishes

Georgina