scared and confused

Hi, this isn’t about me, it’s about my mum, she’s 77 and has a lump that has appeared suddenly over the past 3 was, it woke her up in the night with a burning pain, she went to the Gp, who thought it may be a collapsed muscle she had a reverse shoulder replacement 7 years ago but also sent her for the 2 week wait at the breast unit. We went to see the orthopaedic surgeon who did I her shoulder replacement who was certain it wasn’t anything to do with the muscle. Had the appointment at breast clinic where they did a mamogram and ultrasound, they then wanted to repeat the ultrasound, the breast surgeon say her and examined her and said it wasn’t an a typical cancer, but there are rare cancers so said they need to do a biopsy which they did we have to go for the results on Monday. I’m really scared that it’s going to be the dreaded cancer, if it’s not cancer have you any idea what it could be the surgeon was very non comital when I asked him, which I know they have to be, I work in the NHS myself and know how it works, but when it’s your own family, being a NHS professional goes out the window

• Hi Arniston, 

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like it's been a very difficult few weeks for you and Mum. Not knowing what is causing the pain and waiting for test results is undoubtedly a difficult time. Most of our members here will know how hard waiting for news can be. 

Hopefully at the appointment on Monday the consultant will be able to give you some news that will help to answer lots of the many questions that I'm sure you currently have whizzing round in your head. It can be helpful to write down any questions you have and take this with you to the appointment. You might also want to write down any information that you are given so that you've got it to refer back to after the appointment. 

If you'd like to speak to one of our team of nurses about Mum's situation then please do give them a call. They're available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 0808 800 4040. 

Pop back and let us know how things go when you get chance. 
    Best wishes, 
    Jenn
    Cancer Chat moderator