Prostate cancer

Hi I’m looking to hear people’s experiences with prostate cancer treatments. My uncle diagnosed in August with 9% of cells cancerous from biopsy and a blood reading of 5.9. That has since increased to 8.1, nurse has recommended further active surveillance with future treatment options of Brackey therapy, surgery or radiotherapy. 

• Hi Killybrack.

I am not a doctor and I have no medical qualifications.  

I was diagnosed with early stage prostate cancer back in 2010 when I was 56.  My PSA was 5.6.  My cancer was initially Gleason graded at 3+4, but after surgery it was downgraded to 3+3.  Since surgery my PSA is <0.1 and I've not had any further treatment - although a few months ago I did have a TURBT operation for an early bladder cancer, unrelated to the prostate cancer. 

From your description of your uncle's case, it sounds like he also has early stage prostate cancer.  Brachytherapy and surgery are only offered in situation where there is a real prospect of producing cure, so just the fact they're being talked about is a good indication.  Radiotherapy is also curative but can be used in later stages of the disease.

You don't mention your uncle's age.  Surgeons tend not to perform surgery on men who are over 70, unless they are particularly fit.