Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Prostate

12 Jan 2018 19:29

Hi I'm a male 16 and I'm worried I have prostate cancer. I keep needing to urine a lot and I'm not sure wether it's caffeine ?

Re: Prostate

12 Jan 2018 22:28 in response to User2424243

Hi User2424253 and welcome to our forum.

You've posted in the Ask the Nurses section of the forum, but they work office hours so I don't think you'll get a reply from them until monday.

I'm not a doctor, but I had prostate cancer some 7 years ago.  The most important piece of information you gave was your age, which is 16.  I was 54 when I first had symptoms - and that is quite young for prostate cancer. It would be unprecedented for a boy of 16 to have it.  

So, I think you can stop worrying about prostate cancer.  There are, however, other reasons for increased urination.

Do you have any pain? If you have pain then you need to see your GP and you might have an infection that needs antibiotics.

Have you been drinking too much caffiene, such as tea, coffee, cola, or highly caffienated drinks such as Red Bull or Relentless recently?  If so, then cut down on them and see if the symptoms improve. 

If none of these apply, or your symptoms don't improve then you should discuss this with your GP. Don't be surprised if the GP asks you for a sample of urine. This can be tested by the doctor or nurse using dip-sticks, and the result may give a clue about what's causing this. 

But stop worrying about prostate cancer. You're too young. 

13 Jan 2018 08:20 in response to telemando
I'm concerned for my partner he has raised psa , abnormAlities found in prostate both left and right so biopyps have been taken just over two weeks ago his case is been discussed on Monday He is only 54 but he's had issues down there for a couple of years and seem a doctor ! First time anyone's mentioned this ?

13 Jan 2018 08:40 in response to hiace5

Hi hiace5. Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a doctor, however, I do have first hand experience of early stage prostate cancer at the relatively young age of 56. 

I have some questions, if you care to answer them: how high is your partner's PSA? what sort of abnormalities and how were they found? has he had an MRI scan? and what is your partner's ethnicity? The last question is relevant when it comes to prostate issues.

13 Jan 2018 11:38 in response to telemando

His PSA is 7 on a MRI they just sed they could see abnormAlities left and right of prostate and have taken 16 biopsys ! He was told a couple of years ago his testosterone was virtually non existent so just gave him gel to rub on his chest Now I wonder if this was related ?

13 Jan 2018 12:17 in response to hiace5

Hi hiace5

I'm not a doctor, but I learned a few things from my brush with prostate cancer. 

I asked for a PSA test when I was 54, because I heard an article on the radio. I didn't have any symptoms. My PSA was about 4. I was monitored for 2 years, with my PSA being tested every 3 months. During that time it varied between 4 and 5, never going over 5.  Eventually, after 2 years, it tipped over 5 and I had a biopsy. The biopsy found cancer cells indicative of early stage cancer; I was then 56. As was the protocol at that time, I had an MRI following the biopsy, and it showed the prostate was intact - in fact it looked normal. Since then, MRI technology has moved on and I dare say today it would show some irregularities - but back in 2010 it didn't.  I was offered the standard choice of radiotherapy or surgery with a robot.  I took the robotic surgery option and I'm still here 7 years later, with my PSA too low to measure. 

At the same time that I was diagnosed, a friend a year or two older than me had his PSA tested, and it was over 5. He had a biopsy and no cancer was found.  He went on to have tablets to shrink his prostate and his PSA has stabilised and he's doing fine.  My own music teacher has a PSA of 20 or so, but no cancer! 

This is the problem. PSA is a blunt instrument and can only tell the doctor that a prostate is in distress, but not why. It could be infection or cancer, or simply getting larger as a man gets older. Likewise, MRIs are wonderful machines, but they can't always distinguish one problem from another, hence the need for the biopsy. 

Given what's happened to your partner, I think you should have been warned that prostate cancer is a possibility, but it may yet prove to be something else.  

Even if it is prostate cancer, the situation is far from hopeless. Early prostate cancer sometimes requires no treatment, just regular monitoring. If it does need treatment then there are a range of options that can cure it. More advanced cancers can be controlled for years with modern drugs, and there are new treatments in the pipeline. 

So, let's keep our fingers crossed that this is not cancer, but if it is then the situation is far from desperate.

Please tell us how your partner gets on.  If it is cancer, then it would help to know the Gleeson score and staging, and what the doctors recommend as a treatment path. 

All good wished to you and your partner. 

16 Jan 2018 09:45 in response to User2424243

Hello,

Thanks for posting a question. I am sorry to learn that you are worried about your health.

You really don’t need to be overly worried about prostate cancer, as this is very unlikely at your age. According to UK statistics no one of your age has been diagnosed with prostate cancer in recent years. It is almost unheard of in someone of 16.

There could be many reasons why you need to urinate frequently. It might be due to caffeine, as caffeinated drinks may have a mild diuretic effect. By this I mean that they may stimulate the kidneys to produce more urine, which may cause more frequent trips to the bathroom. You could try reducing the amount of caffeine that you drink and see if it helps.  Frequently passing urine can also become a habit. Some people can teach their bladder to hold more urine by trying to hang on a little longer when they feel the need to go.

Sometimes frequent urination is caused by medical conditions like diabetes. If you are extremely thirsty and tired as well, it could suggest this. So if you are worried do get a checkup from your doctor.  You should also see your doctor if you have any signs of a urine infection such as pain on passing urine or blood in the urine.  Also as one of our helpful forum members suggested, do see your doctor if things get any worse.

I hope that this helps. Do get back to us if you have any other questions. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 800 4040. We are here Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

All the best,

Jean

16 Jan 2018 11:57 in response to hiace5

Hello Hiace5,

Thanks for posting a question. I am sorry to learn that your partner is waiting for the results of a prostate biopsy.

Waiting for tests, investigations and the results can be very stressful, so I can appreciate that this must be a difficult time. I  am sorry but I don’t think that there is much that I can say at this stage about your partner’s situation. Until all the results are available it is not possible to know what happens next.  A PSA of 7 is a little higher than would be expected in a man of your partner’s age, but it is still relatively low. So if it does turn out to be prostate cancer, then there is a good chance that it is not too advanced.

You also wondered if the testosterone gel that your partner was prescribed could have caused the problems with his prostate. Doctors know that testosterone can stimulate prostate cancer cells to grow. So testosterone is not usually recommended for men who have been diagnosed with prostate cancer. But there is not any strong evidence to suggest that prescribing testosterone gel to men who need it increases the risk of developing prostate cancer in the first place. This was looked at in a large Swedish study. The researchers compared the number of cases of prostate cancer in men having testosterone replacement and men who were not. They found that the number of men who developed prostate cancer was similar in each group.

I do hope that you get the results of the biopsies soon. If you have any other questions do get back to us. If you would like to telephone our freephone number is 0808 800 4040. We are here from Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am to 5pm.

All the best,

Jean