Ovarian cystectomy results 3 week wait

3 weeks ago I had surgery to remove a 12 cm cyst from my right ovary. 

Previous to this I had raised CA125 and constant bloated feeling along with always needing to pee. 

I went for all the scans offered and was booked on but it has now been 3 weeks since surgery and I’ve heard nothing! 

When I came around from my operation I asked to see my notes and was told everything would be on my discharge letter but all that said was elective labrotomy for cyst removal.

im trying to keep busy but I’m not getting any answers about anything right now! 

Hiw long have others waited for histology in similar situations? 

• Hello Rebeccajayne, 

How frustrating it must be for you at the moment to not be getting any answers. You're doing the right thing though in keeping busy and distracted while waiting as this uncertainty can be so difficult to deal with. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long now before you find out more. 

I hope you will meet others on our forum who have been in a similar situation and that they will be along soon to tell you more about how long they themselves had to wait for histology results. If you see you are not getting anywhere, do give your doctor or your hospital a call to try and chase things and explain that you have been waiting for three weeks and haven't heard anything yet and are desperate for answers. 

I hope it all goes well for you and that you find out more very soon. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi Rebecca, I had the same situation except my cyst was around 8cm in size (right ovary) and my CA125 and other tests were all normal before surgery. The only issue I had was my iron was extremely low due to extremely heavy bleeding before surgery and I am on the supplement for that at the moment. 

Its been almost 2 months since I had my surgery now (surgery was done on early oct), and I have received all my results now. I did not need to do any more scans after surgery but my GP did say if I experience any pains then she will order a scan for me, which I am thinking to do in a few months. 

And as for discharge letter, it's the same for me, it only says cystectomy of dermoid cyst on right ovary on mine too.

However, for the histology report, I only received it the second week of this month. So it took around 2 months to get histology report back. To be honest, I did not even know that I was going to get a histology report. So I got a bit scared when I received a report from the hospital again. But, fortunately, the report confirmed that the tissue removed WAS a dermoid cyst and nothing else. Maybe, you might have gotten your result by now as it seems you had your done earlier than mine. If not, then its probably better to talk to your GP now and ask about it.

Also, I would like to ask you about how your periods are like, after the surgery. I have always had irregular periods since young and I was hoping for a stable period but ended up finding out a dermoid cyst inside me so it might have been the cause for my irregular periods. My GP did say, my periods will take time to settle down after surgery but I don't know how long it takes to settle down because at the moment I am either bleeding earlier or bleeding in between periods or getting late periods. Currently, I am 5 days late but I started bleeding again after a week of my previous period (so I was guessing it might have been interbleeding between periods) but since I am already 5 days late this month I am thinking the interbleeding that started right after a week of my previous period might have been this month's period (which started in quite a short interval from my previous period). It's all quite complicated so I am guessing I am still irregular. I might wait one or two more months and get checked with my GP if it's still irregular. Also currently, I am getting weird dull pain sensation coming from the right lower abdomen where my right ovary is and also from the central area where the uterus is. I don't know if its because the period was supposed to come and it's not so it's hurting or if it's just recovering so its acting weird. Do you have a similar situation as well?