Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Ovarian cyst

12 Sep 2019 14:12

hello,

a few years ago I had a partial hysterectomy due to what they thought was fibroids and I retained 1 ovary. The histology came back confirming it was in fact a very rare uterine tumour defined as 'uterine tumour resembling ovarian sex cord tumour, of undetermined malignant potential.' My consultant explained it was very unlikely to recur as they usually behave in a benign manner and at that time only about 80 cases had ever been reported/confirmed worldwide. They consulted with a lead world pathologist who agreed I did not need to have my retained ovary removed but they would monitor me closely as these tumours are sometimes unpredictable.

So that's my history. Fast forward 2 years 4 months and my consultant has referred me for an ultrasound as I have a heavy/burning feeling around my ovary and the occasional stabbing pain. the results have shown 3 small cysts, 2 of them tiny and simple and the 3rd measures 3 cm. My nurse is referring it back to the consultant as the only dodgy feature is it contains a single septation. 

so my question is, what is a septation? And more importantly what causes it?  I read loads of information and it seems if it's a single septation and it,s thin then it's usually of no real concern. but I am still worried sick. I am waiting to see the consultant to discuss the scan results.

The report also said there were no solid areas, no other evidence of disease and no pelvic fluid. My last ca 125 measure was 2 but that was a few months ago now and I,ll have that repeated next week.

The sonographer wouldn't,t tell me much at the time, she just confirmed There was a small cyst but said it wasn't blood filled and that I might need blood test. I assume the blood test she was referring to was ca125. 

I have spent the last 2 years with constant worry hanging over me and each time I have a scan, it tips me over the edge again.

Has anyone else has a septation ovarian cyst? And are they still classed as simple cysts?

Any info would help

thanks in advance

Ovarian cyst

13 Sep 2019 11:21 in response to Bluebellhill

Hello and thank you for posting a question.

I am sorry to learn about the ovarian cyst. I think that this sort of thing can be a bit of a worry. In your case I imagine that you might be rather unsettled in view of the fact that things did not go 'entirely to plan' when you had the hysterectomy. This is understandable. I would like to help but I don't think that I can tell you much that you have not already read.  All I can really do is confirm what you know already.

A septated ovarian cyst has more than one compartment.  I am afraid that I don't know what causes this to happen. Although septated ovarian cysts are classed as as complex ovarian cysts, in the main they are not overly concerning. As you may know, ovarian cysts can be simple or complex. Simple cysts are benign (not cancer), but complex cysts are a bit more of a mixed bunch. But even then, most  complex cysts are not cancerous.  There is general agreement among experts that a septated ovarian cyst is not overly worrying unless it contains other solid material. So it does seem very unlikely that your cyst is cancerous. But of course until you have confirmation I  think it may be a bit of a worry.

To look at things logically, your degree of concern is higher than it needs to be given the risk. But of course because of what you have been through it must be difficult to feel optimistic.  So I do hope that you get some news soon.

Please get back to us if you have any other questions. You may find it helpful to talk things through with us.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the best,

Jean

Ovarian cyst

13 Sep 2019 20:47 in response to CRUK Nurse Jean

Hi Jean

thank you for your swift response and the reassurance you have given me. Its helped me be more rational about the whole thing.

thank you so much

X