oesophagus cancer

Hi all

just wondered it anyone had any experience with oesophagus cancer that is terminal and chemo etc is stopped as not working. What’s the prognosis generally for time left? Is it painful, are there signs things are going downhill. My mum has it and is now sofa bound, not eating and has no energy. She has almost given up. Is that her or the cancer? Is it weeks? I don’t want to sound morbid but more want to be prepared menatally to help her and others etc

• I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. 

I can completely understand what your going through. My partner was diagnosed with stage four oesophageal cancer last Dec. He also had bone matastices and it has spread to his liver, kidneys, brain and lungs. The only way I can describe this Disease is evil. He started on chemo in January and radiotherapy. He also had the cancer in his skin and tissues and received radiotherapy on these. The second scan showed the cancer had spread and the chemo also had not worked so they started him on another chemo, which also didn’t work. 

Pain management got better but he had so many nasty side effects from the chemo and radiotherapy to be honest he had absolutely no quality of life at all. Like your mother about 3 months before he passed away he too had to sleep in a chair as couldn’t breathe lying down. He started going down hill quite rapidly in the last few weeks, as the cancer had spread to his lungs he couldn’t breathe, he had extreme bloating and asked to go into hospital. He couldn’t really eat and once in hospital started to become very confused and uptight, at this point he wasn’t eating at all. He was on permanent oxygen and went downhill. He was then transferred to a side room. He could still communicate with us through touch and nodding but was in pain so they gave him an injection, I think it was dyamorphine, after this he was completely in what can only be described as a coma and just slept he then passed away on the same day. 

He leaves a nine month old baby and was 50. 

Its hard to tell how long your mother will carry on, it’s very individual although from experience of stage four cancers in my family most have lived between 3-5 months.  

I wish I could give you better news. Be strong and all I can say is give her as much love and support as you can. Even if your mother can’t do much put on a favourite film, maybe go for a short trip in the car to the seaside. 

My thoughts are with you xx

• Hi Sam. How are you and your Mum? I know we have spoken before. My Mum has now reached the point where she has been taken off chemo and has been given 3 months. We are all just absolutely devastated and trying to get our heads around it. As much as we were expecting this day, it’s still a shock when it comes. I pray you are all doing ok xx

• Hi , my dad has the same and is now in a hospice, this cancer is ******* evil , my dad is like a skeleton and waiting to die even telling the  docs there he wants to die.  

This is the worst thing i have ever seen , a pure death sentence , i detest it , my poor dad is suffering so much . 

A backwards country we are as euthaenasia should be legal in this country i strongly  believe as too much suffering is going on .