Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Nose Bleeds

6 Dec 2017 17:58

Hello, i’m a 19 year old female. 

Last year I was suffering from nosebleeds in my right nostril and also brain fluid leak. I was diagnosed with a benign tumor and had an 8 hour operation where they removed the lump and gave me a skin graft from the left side thigh to glue in my head between the skull and nose. 

Recently i’ve been having non stop nosebleeds from the left side this time and they last over half an hour and i get them to 2-3 times a day.

I have been going to hospital on an emergency appointments and it stops when I arrive typically. 

It never possible to have an appointment in my city.  Caernarfon. and also I have no ways to go to Casualty. 

Would love advices and what it might be? as I am worried sick, thank you

Re: Nose Bleeds

6 Dec 2017 18:19 in response to emmaceri

I am not a doctor or any kind of medical worker.

Given your medical history, you do need to see your GP to get this investigated. However, nose bleeds are very common and often they have a pretty mundane reason - a weak blood vessel in the nost that never quite heals up.  This happened to me when I was in my mid-20s (some 30+ years ago). I had recurrent nose bleeds that started for no reason and went on for 30+ minutes before stopping - until the next time. They were a complete nuisance and were beginning to disrupt my daily life. I was referred to a clinic where the consultant identified the problem as a weak blood vessel, and fixed it with a drop of acid on a cotton bud. It stung for a few seconds but the problem was fixed for good - no more nosebleeds ever since.

So, I suggest you make an appointment to see  your GP, take a morning off work, promise to treat yourself to a coffee and mince pie afterwards, and discuss your fears with your doctor. 

Incidentally, I recall Gerald Durrell writing an amusing story on the topic of his recurrent nose bleeds in his collection of short stories "Fillets of Plaice".   

Re: Nose Bleeds

6 Dec 2017 23:24 in response to telemando
haha, aw thankyou!! I called my emergency doctor line erlier after posting this and instead of going through through the hassle of going to doctors and wait. They’re reffering me straight to my local hospital. Happy thank you so much for help x