Newly diagnosed with prostate cancer

I was diagnosed Prostate Cancer last week. I'm 68 and a fit cyclist. My cancer is T2a & Gleason 3+4.
I'm currently researching whether to have a prostatectomy via robotic surgery or brachytherapy. I would prefer the surgery however that has a 12 week wait and I have concerns that the covid situation may delay that further. The potential for ED is not a massive concern to me nor is the incontinence risk as I am sure I can overcome that and the odds are stacked in my favour
I can start brachytherapy in a couple of weeks but have concerns about urinary issues and discomfort going forward

• Hi Hamilton. Welcome to the club that no-one ever chooses to join.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in mid 2010 (about 10.5 years ago).  My PSA was 6.5, stage 2, Gleason 3+4.  I was 56 at that time.

I was initially due to have a robotic prostatectomy in September 2010, but I had a severe problem with high blood pressure.  It took several months to get this under control so that it would be safe for me to have the operation.  I had the surgery on December 21st 2010, so I've now just passed the 10 year anniversary.  All my PSA tests since the operation have been less than 0.1

At the time I asked my GP whether the delay was likely to affect my outcome and she reassured me that it could be delayed for upto a year without causing any serious issues. 

My problem came to light when I had my pre-op assessment, a week or two before scheduled surgery.  Obviously you don't want to wait 12 weeks, then find yourself with some health issue that will cause further delay, so it might be worth having a word with your GP now to check that you will be fit for surgery when the time comes. You can check your own blood pressure, but I'm not sure what other checks would be carried out at a pre-op assessment; however, your GP should know.

Best of luck!

• Hi

Many thanks for your reply and drawing my attention to this factor. I can dispense with  the conversation with my GP by asking my daughter who is a doctor herself what needs to be checked out. She's staying with us at the moment so i'll ask her tonight when she gets in!