New here

Hi I'm new here as really struggling my step dad was diagnosed with colon cancer before Christmas and then last month we got the devastating news that their was nothing they could do for him and that he had maybe 1-2 years we were not a close family any way and this diagnoses have pulled the family even further apart 

• hi bobbob i have just found out yesterday that i have bowel cancer still in a state of shock as had no symptons at all go for scan next week and then will find out all the results like you i am in shock will keep you updated and so sorry nothing can be done for your dadxx

• Hi bobbob123. Welcome to the forum, and I'm extremely sorry to hear of your step-dad's situation.

I should start out by saying that apart from the nurses, we're not medically qualified. We're mainly cancer patients/survivors and carers.  I am not medically qualified.

This is devastating news of course. However, I think you'll find that there is plenty that can be done for your step-dad. He won't be abandoned by the system, but in fact will receive palliative care that will extend his life and make him more comfortable. In addition, there may be other therapies available, such as targeted biological therapies. He may also be suitable for a clinical trial of a new treatment. Don't give up hope.

You can find out more information on the Bowel Cancer UK website.