Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

New and nervous

3 Sep 2017 23:36

hi, I'm new to the boards, and I've been reading around a lot.

I found a lump in my breast a week ago, saw the Dr exactly a week after, and she has referred me to the 2ww urgent cancer pathway. So my appointment will be Thurs 7th in Oxford. 

I keep thinking about this, thinking I could have cancer at 44. I've worked as a medical scientist for 15 years, including in the breast clinics, head and neck clinics, and screening cervical slides so I am no stranger to cancer diagnoses. Just not my own. 

Plenty of family history with cancers, and breast cancer so this could be a definite for me. Bloody hell I hope not but maybe it is. I have decided not to tell my eldest boy who is away in Scotland at uni. I think he'd take it hard. I don't want his work and exams buggered up. 

I have just just started a new job 6 months ago, I could do without losing it. Sigh, just so much to think about.

anyway, I shall update on Thursday.

xx 

Re: New and nervous

4 Sep 2017 02:48 in response to sanphi

Hello Sanphi,

Welcome to Cancer chat, although I’m sure that you would rather be anywhere else but here. I am so sorry to hear about lump you recently found in your breast and am glad that you have already seen your GP.

You are so right, working with cancer is so different from facing it yourself. It is more difficult to cope with when you have already lost loved ones to this terrible disease too and you know just how unpleasant it can get. What family do you have and what ages are they?

I hope that all goes well on Thursday. You are likely to have another week of waiting for results after that. This is always a scary time and time itself feels as if it is standing still. Try to keep yourself distracted from the wait by keeping as busy as possible with pleasanter pursuits and don’t surf the Internet!

Please let us know how you get on. There is always someone here for you whenever you feel like talking.

Kind regards,

Jolamine  xx

4 Sep 2017 21:03 in response to sanphi
Hello. I have literally just - just - found a smallish, hardish, not very mobile lump. Trying not to panic. Going to make an appointment with the GP tomorrow. I'm in Oxford too. I don't know what difference that makes. I just saw your post and wanted to say hi, you're not alone in feeling the fear. I hope it turns out to be worry for nothing - for both of us. x

5 Sep 2017 02:59 in response to Helsbelles

Hi Helsbelles,

I am sorry about your finding. Do make an appointment to see your GP as soon as you can. If s/he suspects that the slightest thing is amiss they will refer you on for further tests.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. Remember, that there is always someone here for you whenever you feel like talking.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

5 Sep 2017 08:56 in response to Helsbelles

Hiya luv, Yeah I mentioned Oxford as I always on the lookout for new friends! I'm seeing the clinic this Thursday which ties in nicely as I'm working there that day. 

If you're ever feeling scared, and want a friend, I'm always happy to chat, have coffee etc. Although I have a supe husband, I do find him not as emotional and huggy  touchy-feely as Inam and I feel a bit alone at the moment. 

Thanks all your your your comments Happy 

7 Sep 2017 12:28 in response to sanphi
Hi Sanphi - was thinking about you and hoping the clinic appointment goes OK. I've just seen the GP and been referred. She was reassuringly inclined to think that it was likely to be a cyst or similar, but one can never be certain without further testing. I haven't actually told my husband. Doesn't seem to be any point in both of us worrying until there's something definitive. And actually, I don't really *want* to talk about it out loud. Is that weird? H

12 Sep 2017 20:07 in response to Helsbelles
Hope it went ok and you don't have to wait too long. My appointment is tomorrow. I'm trying not to read anything into how quickly I am being seen. Had something approaching an anxiety attack at work today, which is very unlike me. In my imagination the lump is already three times bigger and has grown teeth. Oh well. What will be will be...

13 Sep 2017 01:48 in response to Helsbelles

Hi Hellsbelles,

I hope that all goes well at the clinic tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx

13 Sep 2017 16:03 in response to Jolamine
Thanks for your support Jolamine, it's so nice to have someone there when you are worried. I'm lucky. It turned out to be a cyst, They removed the fluid and I went home lump free and with a huge weight off my mind. Thank God. Sanphi, wishing you the very best - and anyone else reading this too. H

13 Sep 2017 18:22 in response to Helsbelles

Hi Hellsbelles,

This is marvellous news. I bet you feel mightily relieved tonight.

We don't often get good news here, but when we do it's a real boost.

Don't forget to check yourself from time to time and get seen quickly if you suspect any change.

Take care.,

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx