Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Need help

17 Oct 2019 23:27

Hello I had a heart breaking message off my dad last night he told me he has been diagnose with liver cancer and secondary lung cancer. He is also waiting on a bone marrow transplant. My dad is my hero and really just need to know what to expect can my dad be Cured x

Need help

18 Oct 2019 14:27 in response to Dsweeney88

Hello Dsweeney and thanks for posting, 

I am very sorry to learn about your dad's message. I'm afraid I can't tell you how things will go.  But I expect you know that even when treatment for cancer is given, sadly it doesn't  always work well enough to cure someone.

When a cancer travels from one organ to another in the body it usually is at an advanced stage. Advanced cancers are hard to cure completely, more often they are treated to try and hold them for as long as possible to maintain or improve quality of life. 

I don't know the situtaion and how far along the doctors are in assessing your dad and planning treatment for him. They usually explain what they are aiming to achieve with treatment so you could ask your dad if they have had this sort of conversation and try and get some idea from him.  

There is often a lot of uncertainty with cancer because every person is different and so is their cancer. Sometimes it is possible to go along with someone when they see their hospital doctors for appointments and hear what they have to say first hand. Patients don't always take in everything that is said so this can help, but I don't know if it would be feasible. 

Only your dad's doctors will be able to say what his outlook is. If your dad doesn't know what they think, all I can suggest is getting his permission to speak to them when you can.

Not knowing what is going can be very worrying and stressful. I hope you have some support for yourself.

Please give us a call if you want to talk anything over. The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and we are here from 9-5, Mon-Fri.

Take care,

Julia