Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

Mum's bowel cancer

18 May 2017 10:53

My mum was diagnosed in sept16 with stage 3 bowel cancer she is 71. 

She os on the northwest of the country she had radiotherapy in Nov 4 weeks. Her surgeon does not want to operate on her his words and reason why is because she will die . Anyway she had a good response to radiotherapy went back for rescans in Jan . She now has a blockage due to scar tissue and needs a colostomy bag fitted a permanent one. 

So w have asked for a fitness test for the big op and her referred her to an anaesthetist for a review before surgery. My mum has no underlying medical conditions apart from a blood clot in the lung but she has been on blood thinners since Sept. he has not referred her for fitness test and will not consider the big op to remove the tumour. It is rectal cancer that she has. We are fumming and waiting to see him next week for the date of smaller op. Had anyone else had this problem and if so did they wait long for a second a option. We do understand that this is a serious op but she would like to at least have a fitness test and then instead of saying she be ill die on the table we would like to know why this could happen x advice would be gratefully x

thankyou for reading this long winded post

Re: Mum's bowel cancer

19 May 2017 12:19 in response to Alchemy1sj

Hello and thanks for posting,

I am sorry to learn that your mum needs to have surgery for a blockage.

People are assessed for surgery taking into account things like their medical history, medications and level of mobility.  NICE (The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) have some guidance about the sorts of tests needed before elective (planned) surgery. You can read a public version of the guidance at this link .  This explains that the sorts of tests done can vary depending on how healthy someone is and what sort of operation is planned.

Most of the time the surgeon planning the operation is considered skilled enough to make an adequate assessment of fitness for different types of surgery.  They might not routinely refer to an anaesthetist unless the situation was a bit unusual.  

It may be possible to get a second opinion about surgery, but this could depend on the circumstances for example I am not sure how quickly your mum needs to have the operation for the blockage.  We have more information about getting a second opinion on our website here.

I'm afraid I don't know what will happen following your request for your mum to see an anaesthetist. I wonder if your mum has a colorectal nurse. If so they may be able to help and explain things a bit more, so do get in touch with them. 

If you want to raise your concerns about your mum's medical care you can use the PALS service.

I am sorry I can't tell you more, but hope that you can see the surgeon soon and get some answers to your questions. If you want to give us a call for a chat please do. We are here Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm and out number is 0808 800 4040.

Takes care,

Julia