Mum has Lung Cancer

I wrote about 2 weeks ago to say my Mum was being tested as they seen a shadow on her left lung , what a 2 weeks it has been and I cant thank the NHS enough for how fast they have been during this Pandemic ,  in the 2 weeks shes had 

Xray

CT scan 

MRI 

Lung function test 

PET Scan 

Camera & Biospy (forgot the name) 

Shes now just waiting for a fine needle for a neck biopsy as unfortunately the Pet Scan shown 4 lit up nodes in the centre of her chest which they do think is the cancer but also 1 small area on her neck lit up , they said it could be unrelated but if its lighting up like the others I'm not very confident , we have a appointment for staging and type next week , has anybody else been diagnosed with similar? I was hoping it was going to be stage 1 but I know that's not going to be the case now and if the one in her neck is also cancer I know it's bad, as its outside the lung , Does any one know if that would be curable ? As I keep hearing treatment ? I dont know what I'd do if I lost my Mum all my grandparents have passed away I know I should be happy with every day we live but can bare to think they cant cure her , shes 58 years old :( Tia x

• Hello MrsT123, 

I am sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis. It's great though that despite the current situation with the coronavirus, they have done all these tests and in a short space of time. I hope that she won't need to wait too long for the neck biopsy and that the appointment next week goes well. 

Hopefully you will hear from others on the forum who have been in a similar situation and had the same diagnosis and they will be able to to tell you more about what to expect. Unfortunately no one here can tell you what the prognosis might be and whether your mum's cancer is curable. When you have your appointment next week, try and write down beforehand questions you would like to ask to her medical team. They will be in the best position to tell you more about what to expect and what treatment would be available to your mum. There is detailed information on our website on lung cancer which you can access on this page and which I hope will be useful to you. 

We also have a nurse helpline which you can ring for free Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm - the number to call is 0808 800 4040 so don't hesitate to give our nurses a call if there is anything you would like to talk through with them. 

I hope everything goes well for your mum and best of luck for the appointment next week. 

Best wishes, 

Lucie, Cancer Chat Moderator 

• Hi, 

I lost my dad at 58 to oesophagus cancer, I only tell you this because I can relate to the age of a parent BUT please don't take that as a negative. The NHS is wonderful when it comes to cancer, as they have proved so far for you and there are many many success stories and happy endings so while you don't know otherwise please try and be positive. 
    We were and so was my dad and that's what got him as far as he did. 
    Anyway, what I wanted to say was you mustn't google and jump to conclusions until you have facts and answers. I am so guilty of this and I drove myself mad with anxiety and worry constantly trying to second guess the outcome. 
    Every wait for results is horrendous, I remember it so clearly. 
    There are SO many treatment options and although I'm not really answering your questions you are not alone. 
    Thinking of you x 

• Hi

My mam was diagnosed on Friday with Lung Cancer. Today we were told it was adenocarcinoma with a maligant plueral effusion. We are still waiting to see what treatments they think she will be responsive too. I have come to terms with the fact that she wont be cured but I'm hoping that she can live with cancer.....give us a few years with her, she is only 61. 

• Thank you for your reply,  sorry about your Dad that must of been so hard , I've read a letter today what they sent to our doctors it gets worse every time :( xxx

• I'm sorry to hear that and know what your going through so if you ever need a chat I'm here they think my mums is stage 3b but will find out for sure a week tomorrow we should of found out tommorow but this node in her neck has set us back till they do the biopsy which is planned for Thursday , please keep me updated to what treatment plan they offer , I know everyone's cancer is different and different treatment plans , I wish yous all the best xxx