Lung cancer

Hi, my Dad has been diagnosed with Lung cancer. He was originally gonna have minor operation to remove his teeth on 22 Aug 2018 but the surgeon didn’t push through because of his irregular heart beat and he was then asked to do some test and sadly the next morning the doctor told him that he thinks it’s lung cancer. He did many xrays, ct scans, Pet scan, biopsy which is inconclusive so he did cervical mediastinoscopy. Last week we got confirmation that it’s definitely lung cancer and its T4n2. I have been researching about the tnm staging and am I right that t4n2 is equal to stage 3b? This was totally unexpected for us. I really love my Dad and I just don’t accept it. He is in the hospital right now because of his low oxygen level. He is also gettiny blood thinner injection because of blood clots after the mediastenoscopy. I worry why after every injection it bacame bruise?My Dad is a heavy smoker of roll tobacco but thankfully he decided to quit after hearing this sad news. He is on e cig which I think is still bad?? Also we met the oncologist and he said that it cannot be removed by operation and so the option will be chemo or radiotherapy. My Dad has fibromyalgia which has deteriorated him already for20 years and now he has lung cancer:((((. I hope he can get through this. Any advise about whats good to eat and not good. I’ve been reading about giving up all sugar intake will help. I’m sorry my post seems to be in all places. I’m new to this site and I hope everybody is well. 

• Hello Fion.

I am sorry to read of your Dad's recent diagnosis with lung cancer and I know only too well how you must be feeling. My late husband had the same diagnosis stage 3b  T4N2 which was inoperable and the only treatment he was able to have was four lots of palliative radiotherapy and we were given a prognosis of 9-12 months. Sadly we only managed 6 months. 

Everybody's cancer is different and your Dad's medical team are best placed to give you any information regarding any treatment that may be available to him.

My husband was only 61 when he died and was an ex smoker, he quit when he was 55 when he was diagnosed with COPD. 

It is normal to be bruised after blood thinning injections.

You mention trying to find advice regarding your Dad's diet and thinking about eliminating all sugars. I would follow any advice that his medical team give him regarding this. Our oncologists advice was a high calorie diet, full fat milk, proper butter, soups and puds with added cream, butter on veg, anything to keep the calorie intake up. 

I do hope that things become a bit clearer soon and you find out whether any treatment is available.

Hard as it is with a diagnosis like this, we have to accept it and do our best to get through it whatever the outcome may be.

Sending warm wishes. Lynne.x

• Hi Littleone and Fion

Sad news and really do know how you are feeling.  My husband is just 58. Not smoked for 25 years.  Same diagonsis expected T4N2M0.  Had Xray, CT, biopsy and now waiting on PET/CT.  Scary coughing up blood and breathelessness all come so quick in last 3 weeks.  Appetite is non existent but been trying high calorie sweet things and managing nutri bars, cornetto, heinz tomato soup, bananas, mashed potaoe with butter - comfort food really.  It is totally terrifying and we won't have results until end of month.  Fearing the worst having read other posts and searched the internet. Such a big strong man all his life, manual work and so sad to see this.  And his worry is for leaving me behind. 

My hopes are with you and your Dad.  The hardest is being strong when you want to cry all of the time.  Please do make contact as it can help to chat.

• Hi Fion!

I have stage IV lung cancer with metastasen in lymph nodes, they did give me 10-12 months to live. This was 3 Years ago!!!! I am still alive and can life a good life. So don't give up hope. As there are so many new medications on the market. I couldn't have surgery ether. And later had a tumor in my brain removed.

Petra

• Hi Petra, that is positive news indeed and inspiring. So hard to stay strong and positive at the moment but this is encouraging.  Keep the fight going.  Wishing you the very best.  Jill

• Hi Lynne

I’m sorry to hear about your late husband. He must have done a really good fight. It’s true, everyone’s cancer is different. It’s just so unfair for people diagnosed or living with cancer. They live with fear on their lives. So with their family and love ones. I hope soon a cure will be discovered. It need to happen. It really must happen. Many people are losing their loved ones because of this disease. 

We met oncologist end of october and my dads been given prognosis of 6-12 months. Palliative Radiotherapy has been suggested to be done first as he got squamous nsclc type. My dad had his last radiotherapy yesterday and his coping alright with it. Just feeling so tired and diffent pain where the tumor is. We will meet with oncologist at the end of nov to discuss about chemo. 

Yes, we’ll definitely do our best to support him and hope for the best. Thank you very much Lynne. Appreciate it so much. 

Xxxxx

• Hi Jill

It has been a devastating news to our family. I can feel the pain of every family who have their love ones diagnosed with cancer. 

My Dads been eating alright with what is given to him. We make sure there’s fruit and vegetables and I make him ginger tea in the morning. The oncologist didn’t actually suggested a diet. In fact, when my dad asked if he can smoke again, she said he can but after radiotherapy. But of course we would not allow him to have his hands near tobacco. We want to save him not kill him. 

I agree, it is so hard to be strong in times like this. But, I said to myself that I wanna be positive so my dad will be positive as well. After all we are his source of strength so we don’t want him to see us weak. Right now, my dad is eager to win his fight. I hope you be strong as well for your husband. I know easy to say but try please. Let’s fight this ***. 

Xxxxx

• Hi Petra

Thank you for sharing this. I will let my dad know about your story and I know it will make him more determined to win his fight with cancer. 

His cancer also spread to his lymph nodes and was given 6-12 months to live. Thank you for giving us hope. 

May I ask if you followed a diet or is there food you avoided. Or did you take any supplements? I’ve been reading about flaxseed oil, green algae capsule, evening primrose oil, and zeolite as alternative remedy. 

Wishing you very best xxx

• Hi Ladyjune!

No i did not change any of my eating habbits. I just did life my life as normal as i could.

I always was trying to stay positive, that's just me.

• Thank you Petra. Really appreciate your time to answer. My dad has always been positive person. Even though with his fibromyalgia, we know it’s worst and yet he doesn’t want to show how in so much pain he is. We do try to be positive as much as we can as well. We want to uplift his spirit and make him feel that we are always by his side. Thank you again Petra. Best wishes to you xx

• Hi and so very sorry for the time taken to respond; it has been a roller coaster.  Back into hospital again.  Respiatory failure as tumour grown to 15cm and ostructing the superior vena cava supplying heart.  Had stents put in but have not worked.  He's back with us but has signed a DNR for future.  Had an infection but now finally under control and today we have been told he has the go ahead for immunotherapy starting Wednesday.  Prognosis without treatment is "short months" so I pray that he can go ahead and there is a positive response to the treatment.  It's pembrolizumab as consultant says its the only one licensed for someone who has not had other treatment.  He had 2 targetted radiotherapy but no chemotherapy.  Not sure how this differs to combination drugs that I have seen mentioned elsewhere.

How are we all doing with our positivity?  God its hard isn't it?  He cried as he's scared and doesn't want to leave me and I'm smiling and encouraging and kissing him goodnight then crying myself to sleep when he can't see me.  But today he had a bit of light in his eyes again and walked from his chair to the hospital bed I have downstairs without a walker.  That was a great thing to see.  Baby seps and every day as it comes is great advice as every day is different.

Diet?  Healthy no doubt but also fat and cream and butter I've been told.  Also recommended alkaline water (which is just filtered I believe).  Has anyone tried Essiac?  Canadian health supplement.  Heard it has some great properties but would need to check with consultant first.

Let's all keep strong and beat the b*****

xxxx