Lumps in breast

I am trying to be my most logical self but the waiting is so hard. I recently found a lump - about the size of a hard m&m in one breast and I feel like I can feel several. They're movable. I had a reduction 8 years ago so have reduced feeling and realised I had been so concerned with feeling the lumps I had bruised both my breasts badly. I went to my doctor and she referred me for the urgent 2 week breast clinic but advised it is unlikely to be fast due to delays. It's been nearly 2 weeks and I haven't heard so on her request I let her know today. She said it was likely cysts and I'm from a medical family and I'm trying to stay calm but the waiting is so hard. How long will I be waiting? I'm 34 and single and it's just hard to think about alone whilst also trying to reassure myself ... 

•  

Hi Spencer,

A very warm welcome to our forum.

I am sorry to hear that you have had no word from the clinic yet. You should usually be seen within 2 weeks from the date of referral, but this can take a little longer with the Covid situation at present. Try not to keep feeling your breasts, as you will make them sore and bruised.

The waiting is always hard, especially when you have nobody to talk this through with. Your GP is quite right, not all lumps are cancerous, especially in younger people. In most cases where they are, the lumps tend to be firmly fixed and have craggy edges. Many turn out to be benign cysts or fibrous changes. Many women have naturally lumpy breasts too .It is also a fact that only 1 person in every 8 referred to the breast clinic will receive a cacer diagnosis, so try not to panic.

We always advise people to stay away from Google at this stage, as this will only scare you further and serve no useful purpose. Besides, much of the information is poorly researched, out of date and aimed at the more spectacular cases. 

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We are always here for you.

Kind regards,

Jolamine xx