Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Lump in thigh

5 Dec 2018 19:38

Hello,

I have a lump in my thigh, with swelling it sizes up to about 10cm. Im 28, feel healthy in myself. Just bad anxiety about all this.

Go sent me for bloods they have come back abnormal with high inflammation and protein levels.

My scan is nexr week and I am really worried it's going to be something sinister. Can anyone share any experiences? Especially with elevated blood results .

Thank you 

Re: Lump in thigh

6 Dec 2018 13:09 in response to Livk90

Hi and thanks for your post.

It can be worrying when you find a lump and I can appreciate it's a stressful time when you are waiting for further investigations.

High inflammation and protein levels (I'm assuming it's the CRP result) can also be raised when there is infection in the body. It's not used to diagnose cancer, especially as there are many reasons for a raised reading.

You may want to read a little more about the CRP blood test on the Labs Test Online website https://labtestsonline.org.uk/tests/c-reactive-protein . When blood tests come back with an abnormal result,it's worth noting that they are usually repeated again after a few weeks.

Although no one can say what is causing the swelling without further investigations,it's worth bearing in mind that the majority of swellings and lumps do not turn out to be cancerous.

However, it's good that your GP is being thorough and that you have been referred for a scan.

Waiting for the results can be hard, so if you want to have a chat with one of us, please do give us a ring. The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

I hope you get all the results soon and don't have to wait too long

Wanda