Lost

I'm not really sure why I've decided to post on here ... I guess i'm feeling a little lost and I thought writing about my experience would help I guess. My Grandma was one of my soulmates I spoke to her everyday and seen her just about every other day. She was always on the phone and we had a great relationship. She started to turn yellow in April the doctors sent her for scans and tests and she was rushed into hospital the same day. We found out a week and a half later a cancer had spread starting from her bile duct into her stomach liver and their were various tumours. I still remember the look on her face when I seen her after the bad news. It was obvious they couldnt do anything and the surgeon said it was impossible to operate, there was no hope she had weeks to live. My mother and me moved her immediately into my mothers home and we took care of her together. I was there every day without fail and the 5 nights a week I wasnt at work. My husband completely took over with my children in the house so I could be there. I told her every single day she wasnt alone. Everything happened so quickly she had been living alone before this but within 2 weeks she couldnt walk things progressed no food after two weeks she couldnt eat and went 3 weeks before she died without drinking. I'm aware people are normally put on the pathway 3 days before they die my grandma was put on this 2 weeks before she died, it was a horrific slow process because she was at home they had to be very careful adjusting doses and she suffered with terminal agitation due to her anxiety issues she has lived with for years. Because the actual dying process was so slow it felt like we could see her body slowly shutting down and giving up day by day. There were 3 seperate accasions in those two weeks when a consultant came out and upped doses of medication at the finish they gave her a huge amount of something called Levo and informed us she would never wake up from this. Her face immediatly changed within hours she died 24 hours later she fought dying with every fibre of her being she was an absolute warrior to the end she lasted 6 weeks from diagnosis. There was an issue even after she died it took 2 doctors to go and see her to do the relevant paperwork in the funeral home. By the time i got to view her body (i assumed seeing her peaceful it would give me closure) She had been dead 5 days. I wont describe the way she was on here but it has literally scarred me from the way she looked. I go to work at night look after my family but the times when I am alone I'm starting to feel completely isolated I cannot accept the death she had the suffering she endured and the thoughts of how absolutally terrifed she was when one of the nurses explained she wouldnt survive long. I think its strange that the world carries on when these awful experiences are happening to people....I try to see the best in every day but I have to be honest that nightmare of a disease has given me an awful fear of ever seeing that happen to anyone again or even myself. It was greedy nasty poison that destroyed her from the inside out her beautiful brown eyes went nearly all white and her hair fell out and she wasnt recieving anything but pain relief. I do apologise If my post has upset anyone but i'm hoping there are people out there struggling with these memorys like this too and they can give me some hope that this will become a bad memory that will be replaced with the better ones of my Grandma. 

• Hi there ..

I had to answer your post as the pic I put on here is my granddaughter , she is what I want to stay here for.. she is my very soul ... so that nanny / granddaughter bond l so get ...

Now I've had a grade 3 and masectomy in 2017 ... l didn't believe I'd come through the op .. and couldn't see her just befor I went in, as I'd have never let her go .. but you know when us nan's have that spiecial bond .. I know l would have looked over her .. when she asked if I was going to die, I told her the Drs were going to try to make me better, but if not I'd be that star next to the bright one that we always said was my mum ... and every night when she saw it, it would be me saying hi ...

Now l know how cancer effects us.. and being on here 18 months see the devastation those last memories cause .. now think what your nan would say now .. and how she would want you to remember her .. you had years of wonderful memories .. so those last months were a very small part of her life .. and if you keep remembering those months .. cancer didn't just take your nan... it also makes you a victim too , and it wins ... 

When you get them memories. . Close your eyes, and remember the best memory you have with her .. slowly remember every word .. remember how it made you feel ... remember how she looked then .. and do this over and over till it pushes the sad memories away .. l bet she will watch over you now .. look up at the stars, she's there looking down .. 

You were blessed to have had her while you were growing up .. and every day I have with my Emily, I'm trying to give her the best memories possible,  so she'll think of them if this cancer takes me .. it would brake my heart to think of her hurting so .. and she adores me like you do your nan ..

You could make a memory book ... I've been doing that for Emily since she was 1 ... so you could write down over the next (one memory at a time) and any photos you have .. and you can sit with your kids and grand kids when you get them, and show them this wonderfull nan you had .. that way cancer doesn't win ... you take her with you through your life .. and she'll live in your heart and that book, where cancer will never touch her again .. 

And if your children see you cry, that's o.k .. it tells them it's o.k to miss someone and crying is a way of dealing with it .. a old saying from Buddhism is ... don't cry because you loose someone you love .. smile because you were blessed to have had them in your life .. Chrissie

• I want to say thank you for sharing your story you sound like an incredible nan just like mine was. I think sometimes you run on auto pilot for so long that everything can catch up too you all at once. I cannot tell you how much comfort your message brought to me. She really was a one off she was so funny kind and strong beyond belief - even when she was given her diagnosis her first concern was this will destroy Gems she always thought of others before herself. My husband has done really well at work over the last few months and im sure this is down to some help from her:) I think sometimes we dont realise how precious someone is until there is a threat that they could be taken away. I am going to make a point of getting her photo albums out later and I also still listen to her voicemails saved to my phone. I pray that you have many many years left with your family and especially your beautiful granddaughter she is blessed to have you in her life. It really is a bond that is like no other i wish you all the luck with your health stay strong and fierce xxx

• Hi ...

I'm always on here if you want a chat .. and be kind to your heart .. the first year without them l think is the hardest ... but you've so touched my heart ... maybe it was her that got you to write on here ...

Sending you a big vertual hug ... Chrissie