Together we will beat cancer



20 Sep 2019 17:38


ive recently found a lump in my vulva. Worried I saw a female GP straight away. She advised me it’s a fatty lump.

I should feel reassured but I’m still worrying a little. Then today I was asked how I felt and advised that it might be worth getting a second opinion.

Can my GP be sure it’s a benign fatty lump. It’s a bit like firm silicone to feel, about the size of a 5p and can move slightly. I have pain in my pelvis we think from other o going issues with an autoimmune disease and had a steroid injection a year ago so the pain could be that as it’s across my pelvis but mainly in my groin where the lump is. I have persistent HPV and had my second treatment on my cervix in January this year.

I’m trying not to over think it but not sure what to do. Can GP guarantee it’s a benign fatty lump just by examining me? Thanks 


24 Sep 2019 13:02 in response to MissBW

Hello - thanks for your post

Any lump can be worrying and it's good that you got it checked out.

Many people do report finding lumps of various sizes on their vulva. Some of the most common lumps are due to blocked sebaceous glands. They can feel like hard little lumps and are not usually painful, although sometimes they can get infected. Bartholins cysts which are fluid filled cysts are also common. As you can see there are a variety of things it can be.

If you are still concerned though, do make an another appointment and have a chat about what she actually means by a fatty lump and why she thinks this. GPs  do however,see a wide range of health conditions so do trust them. You can always see another GP in the practice for reassurance.

The pain in your groin may well be a totally separate issue, so do have another discussion about this.

All the best



24 Sep 2019 13:53 in response to CRUK Nurse Wanda

Hi thank you for replying.

its not Bartholin cyst as it’s in the wrong area it to the top away from my glands as I thought that could be a possibility.

if it is just a “fatty lump” or soft tissue can it continue to grow? Are they always benign? Can a GP 100% guarantee it’s benign?

many thanks


24 Sep 2019 15:08 in response to MissBW

Hello and thanks for getting back to us again,

I am afraid that as nurses we are unable to tell you what it could be.  It may well be a fatty lump but if you do remain concerned about it then do go back to your GP practice and talk to your doctor. 

The GP can get quite a good idea by looking and feeling it but if you remain concerned then do go back and have another chat. GP's are used to seeing lots of lumps and bumps and if they are in doubt they would consider referring  you to a gynaecologist. As Wanda said you could always ask to see another doctor in the practice.

I hope that this has helped reassure you.

Please get back to us if you need any more information or support.  You may find it helpful to talk things through with one of the nurses on our helpline.  The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Best Wishes,