Life after cancer

After the initial diagnosis of breast cancer and treatment period a year ago, when having had my 1st yr mammogram which is clear ( thankfully) I'm still finding it hard to cope with some of the physical and emotional side effects of treatment such as radiotherapy. Ongoing breast pains and tenderness, mild lymph oedema to my right arm and breast, anxiety,  carpal tunnel syndrome, trigger finger symptoms and joint pains caused by side effects of letrozole are symptoms  I didn't expect. I worry every night about the cancer returning and find it difficult to sleep...partly because of discomfort with joint pains but also hot sweats and anxiety. I've seen the lymph oedema nurse on 3 occasions and have managed to reduce the oedema slightly but still have swollen painful hands every morning when I wake. The other issue I find hard to deal with is not being able to drink alcohol with friends as I used to drink wine occasionally although not excessively, (always within the NHS guidelines) but now I feel guilty when I have 1 glass and worry that it will increase the chances of it coming back. Also I usually dye my hair to hide my grey but am now considering letting the grey come through as I worry over the use of hair dyes and cancer risk? Does anyone know if there are more natural dyes that cover grey which don't carry the risk of cancer? 

• OK and breathe...

A glass of wine with friends once in a while will not cause a problem unless you have any other problems obviously and will probably make you feel better ie being with friends and living your life.

I’m just a month post end of treatment and am on Tamoxifen. Unfortunately sweats are also a side effect of this too. So far I’ve managed to avoid joint problems but I’m guessing I’ve got that joy to come when I change to an AI in two years. I was advised to keep doing the exercises I was given for post surgery to keep my upper body moving and so far I’m OK. I’ve got existing issues with my shoulders and wrists anyway so needs must. 

I find is easier to do them in the shower, usually while the conditioner is on my hair. Speaking of hair, a year post treatment you should be able to do that now although sticking to vegetable based dyes might be better. There is some advice on this site already about this.  If it makes you feel more in charge of your life then go ahead!

• Thanks Rileyroo, I did the exercises religiously and then did a return to fitness programme at the gym which I've now joined. I will look into vegetable dyes for my hair if I can't stand looking at my grey. My Dr offered to switch me to Tamoxifen which doesn't have joint pain side effects I don't think, however, as I'm post menopausal, the literature suggests that Letrozole has better results at keeping cancer at bay so I'm persevering with it for now. My joint pains were made worse by contracting parvovirus a couple of months ago but I'm hoping as time goes by, the pain will improve in my joints and bones. I also have mild osteoarthritis and osteopenia diagnosed on the bone density scan (another possible side effect of the meds). I'm trying to stay positive and focused on daily living. I'm still suffering with fatigue which gets in the way of me trying to enjoy myself...lol. Good luck in your recovery and yes, keep moving. 

• Of course you’re still fatigued! Parvo is draining. I was put on Tamoxifen as I already have issues with bone density, I was also post menopausal when I started this. 

Have you tried a different brand of leteozole? That is something that both the bcn’s and my cousin who’s a nurse suggested. The carrier substances can vary from brand to brand. 

• Hi, no I didn't realise that letrozole varied. I have had a couple of different brands over the last 12 months, I suppose they give me whatever is the cheapest brand on the market at the time as its NHS? I wasn't aware you could request a specific brand? Re the fatigue, I don't know how long that goes on for, I had hoped it would have passed by now. My husband seems to think it should! Do you have a partner, if so, how have they coped with it all? 

• They can vary in the the other constituent parts of the tablet, if you find or can remember one that is better than the others then you can ask your pharmacist to get that for you. Two of my friends own a pharmacy and this is something they try and do but it can depend on what the warehouse has in stock. 

Can’t comment on how long the fatigue lasts, I’m still on recovery from radiotherapy so can be fine one minute and asleep the next although I’m ok for four to five hours now usually and so have been able to return to work. 

I don’t have a partner but both kids still live at home. We just take it day to day in terms of what I can do but that’s improving now. 

Sandra123 is taking letrezole so she might be better able to talk about that than me.