Just been diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer

Hi 

I’ve literally just been diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer. 

So I did the 2ww for breast clinic then the 2ww for biopsy results now it’s confirmed I have to wait, for the mri before they decide which way my treatment will be.

the consultant said I would have chemo, radio, surgery and hormone treatment but they won’t know which order until after.

Im still in shock at the moment. I’m not really sure how I feel about it as I’m more worried about how the children and husband feel. 

I have 4 children twin girls of 13 and two boys of 5 and 3. I have no idea how to tell my boys. 

Hx 

• Hi H

I got diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductsl carcinoma on 26th June. June. Originally they said I would have surgery within 3 weeks to remove the lump. I told my 2 children (11 & 8) that I had an infection in my breast and that I was going to have an operation to remove it. My 11 year old asked me if I would be ok and I said yes!! Then 3 days after that I got told because I’m Her2 positive I need to have chemotherapy before surgery!! I was absolutely devastated. I didn’t want anyone to know I had cancer, now everyone would know! Friday 2nd August I have my first chemo session and I’m doing ok. I have my moments where I I think I will wake up and it will have been a nightmare!! My husband has been a complete rock. I’m just dreading how to tell the kids!! 

My advise is to take each day as it comes and talk to your close friends or family.

Big hugs

Amanda x

• Hi Amanda

they told me I have her2 too but they haven’t said what way round treatment is yet. I’ve got to wait for my mri scan before they decide which way round they are doing it. 

I’m up and down a lot, I think I’m still in shock.

did you have an mri? I don’t really know what to expect. 

Hxx

• Really sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I also hd grade 2 . Had lumpectomy March. Wasnt offered MRI, would have preferred to have had one, lack of money in pot at our hospital I guess. I have had MRI before and its nothing to worry about and it gives a better picture than a mammo so its good news you are getting one.

Telling the kids is difficult. I told my daughter I had cancer but it was OK they found it soon enough to be able to perate and get rid of it. I told her tht they were going to remove the nasty tumour and throw it in the bin. I said I might be a bit tired after the op for couple of weeks but there was no need to worry. Also said if yu ever have any questions not to hesitate to ask. I think every child is different some can be told others wouldnt cope so well. Its an individuals choice but reassrance is main thing and lots of hugs.

x

• Hi Amanda

sorry to hear of your diagnosis.   I am currently awaiting my appointment to discuss diagnosis and treatment plan.   They told me that my lump has no benign features so they have essentially prepared me for bad news.   I should get an appointment in 2 weeks so it’s still the waiting game nightmare at the moment.   My children are older so I’ve been open and honest with them but I understand it’s more tricky with younger children.   I think pat007s advice on how to tell them is spot on and I agree about lots of hugs.   Hugs have helped me so much in the last few days.   I’m finding it so hard seeing everyone I love  worried about me.   I am trying to keep in my mind that I can deal with anything one step at a time.  My big girl pants are currently around my ankles but after a rocky few days I am pleased I’ve got them on    We can do this xxx

• Hi there.

Have had 3 work colleages who have got through breast cancer. One had grade 4 and had a mastectomy, lymph gland removal, chemo and radio, and is on tablets now, she is here to tell the tale. She is 59. Another friend had it several years ago at under 50 and had a lumpectomy, chemo and radio and is through it all and remains very well and was back to work after all her treatment. Another friend had a small lump detected on a mammogram and had a lumpectomy and radio and is now through it all. Please try to stay positive. You will beat this! Can't advise on how to tell your little boys but am sure someone will be able to advise you. This forum is so supportive.

Wishing you all the best xxx

• Hi MrsG25

Sorry to hear your news, it’s such a *** world. As I said to Mrsh7, if you’re worried Chase. Someone else told me to do that. The reality is that if you’re nice and sit back and wait, you can get forgotten. As long as you are polite then the team are normally helpful. The consultant said she was about to say everything looked ok, when she saw the back of the lump had a jagged edge (which is a sign of cancer), I then had to sit downstairs in the waiting area for the biopsies to be done trying to hold the tears back. Take each day as it comes and try to keep busy. I didn’t tell anyone other than a couple of close friends and my husband until after they had confirmed the diagnosis. I didn’t want everyone fussing over me and keep asking if I was ok!!! Everybody is different.

As you said WE CAN DO THIS 

Take care

Amanda x

• Thanks Amanda.  I have to say the whole team were amazing.  My husband said to the consultant that 2 weeks was a long time to wait but he assured us that by then the whole team would have met and they would have the best plan in place by then so we’ll see.   In regards to telling people,  II’m exactly the same.   Only my husband, children and sister know that it’s almost certain to be bad news.   I’m not one for sympathy or pity but tend to get on with things but I don’t mind saying this floored me,  I’m slowly getting my fight back.     I had the same feeling as you fighting tears back as she did the biopsy.  I could see the lump on the screen and the jagged edges so knew it looked bad,  I also have a swollen node so she biopsied that too.  it’s so good having everyone here to talk to.  It makes you feel less alone.   I’m determined we can do this.   Xxx

• Hi Cazza - I love your post.   It will give lots of us hope xx

• I know exactly what you mean. I only signed up here last night, but already I can feel the benefit. Unless you’ve been through this, nobody can understand what you’re feeling and going through. It helps to be able to share experiences with others and ask questions. I feel as though I’m talking about somebody else, when I talk about this cancer. That it’s not me. 

I too had a swollen node and had biopsy, but it turned out to be nothing. 

Xxx

• I feel like I’m in a bubble watching everyone else carry on with their lives.   It’s very strange.  It’s a club nobody wants to be in xxx