Inverted nipple

Hello everyone, 

about 3 weeks ago (ish) when I took my bra off I noticed the my nipple was sunk. Not the whole nipple just in the middle; the only way I could describe it was there was a hole. It's still the same now. The only thing that's kind of keeping me sane is that if I touch it or massage it or if I am cold it pops right back out. I mean could these still mean breast cancer? I do have an appointment with the nurse on Wednesday for my smear and was going to ask her for her opinion, but also wanted to see if anybody had anything similar and it turn out to be ok? Thankyou for reading x

• Hi Mumma123, 

I'm sorry for the worry the change in your nipple is causing. If you haven't done so already do be sure to book an appointment with your doctor as they're the only ones who can let you know whether this needs further investigation.

In the meantime, I just wanted to wish you all the best with your cervical screening tomorrow. I hope it goes well and the the nurse can offer some reassurance about your nipple if you're able to get her thoughts on it.

Kind regards,

Steph, Cancer Chat Moderator

• Hi mumma123, I just wanted to say please get it checked out, I don’t wish to scare you but I had the same thing and it was unfortunately cancer, I was so fortunate I was referred and seen within 2 weeks . I had no palpable lumps but after a lumpectomy and radiotherapy I am now 2 years on and consider myself very lucky . Best of luck nicky xxx

• Hi nicky453

was your nipple constantly inverted or like I say I could pop it back out again? I am a tad worried if that's the case. I suffer with health anxiety as it is. Will definitely bring it up with the nurse tomorrow. I have been having pain in the breast too but both of them so just out that down to hormones. And also my armpits have been itching, just thought it was shaving. Now I'm getting a bit worried x

• Hi I could pop it out but it didn’t stay out, I didn’t have any pain or anything else , it most definitely could be hormones and I am so sorry if I have scared you but I tell everyone now if you notice any changes at all get it checked out. I was 46 when diagnosed and just thank my lucky stars every day that I mentioned it to my gp. Let me know how you get on and always here for a chat if you need me xxx

• Did it instantly go back in? Sorry for the questions, I know everybody is different aswell, just trying to find out what others have gone through, also I am very sorry to hear you have gone through this and I'm glad you are well now. If I take my bra off and I'm cold it instantly comes out itself, if I'm not cold I give it a little massage and it comes out, I don't think i have noticed if it has gone back in much after it's comes out, to be honest considering the anxiety I haven't been so worried about this issue lol. Typical, it will probably be sinister this time! Sometimes if I peek in my bra it will just look flat like it normally does and other times it look slightly open, I think that's inverted slightly I'm not sure. Sorry for the long post. Xx

• It’s ok lovely , yes mine went straight back in and didn’t cone out when cold just when I prodded it,  I’m sure you’ll be fine but I’m now obsessed with telling everyone as I just wasn’t expecting my diagnosis I’m so sorry to scare you xxx better to be safe than sorry x

• Don't be silly!!! It's not your fault at all. It's good that you want to share your story with other to help make them aware! I mean, I have been keeping an eye on it for few weeks and just thought I'd mention it to the nurse tomorrow and I'm sure she will just tell me to speak to a GP. This is going to sound weird, but I actually find it quite funny to watch, like when I watch it come out I can see the whole nipple moving it's really bizarre. I guess this is my new way of trying not to worry about it. But honestly please don't be sorry, be proud!!! Proud that you have got through this and you have the confidence to make others breast aware and share your story! It's a big thing to want to share with others, I mean I don't know you and I'm proud of you already! And you are absolutely right it is better to be safe than sorry!!! I am one to be in the doctors straight away with an issue which is why I have surprised myself to hold off this long with this problem, like I said previously it will be typical that this will be the sinister problem. I had a breast scare 4 years ago when I was pregnant with my son, after a year of fighting with the doctor they finally sent me for an ultrasound and I was told it was a fibroadenoma. There is part of my mind that has the worry they have got it wrong and Iv been living with something sinister for this long, who knows. Hopefully not. Xxx

• Aww thank you , fingers crossed for you positive thoughts only !!!, let me know how you get on xxx

• Forgot to say one thing I did have was tiredness for a couple of months prior but put that down to being winter, doing the school run and working, only afterwards I thought that explains it

• I will do, thankyou for taking the time to talk to me x