Together we will beat cancer


I think I might have have testicular cancer

20 Oct 2019 22:22


A week ago I had a dull ache in my right testicle and groin. I googled the symptoms and all said I would be rendered infertile! It didn't help that just last night I discovered a tiny, hard lump on the top of my testicle. The lump is about the size of a pen tip. It is honestly not noticeable. I'm so scared about going to the doctor and being told I need a testicle removed. Is it testicular cancer or something else?

I think I might have have testicular cancer

20 Oct 2019 23:32 in response to MonsInMountains

Hi MonsInMountains.

I am not a doctor.

There are many possible reasons for pain in the testicle.  Yes, some are serious, but many are not. If you have the pain for more than a week, or if it gets worse, then I suggest you see your GP.

The small lump at the top of the testicle could be a natural structure with the tongue twisting name of epididymis. Check the other side and you'll probably find one there, too. This structure can sometimes get infected, and you get the disease with the very tongue twisting name of epididymitis. I can speak from experience when I say the pain from this exquisitely agonising and simply can't be ignored.  Fortuanately, a short course of antibiotics is usually enough to cure it. 

If you're still worried then by all means see your GP, but try not to use Google. Everybody who uses Google to check their symptoms ends up freaking out.  It's certainly happened to me and I've learned my lesson. 

I think I might have have testicular cancer

21 Oct 2019 16:37 in response to MonsInMountains

Hello and thank you for posting a question.

Although they may not be a medical professional, Telemando has given you a very sensible answer and I doubt that I could put it much better myself.

I cannot tell you what is wrong, but it may help to know that testicular cancer is rare, while aches and pains in the testicles are relatively common. But when a pain persists it should be checked out by a doctor or another qualified health professional.

You could be feeling your 'sperm tube' as this coils at the top of the testicle and it can sometimes be felt as a lump. But if you remain worried do see your doctor. Many people tell us that they are too embarrassed to do this, but your GP will be used to examining all parts  of the body and won't think too much about it. Making an appointment is really the only way to find out what might be the matter.

Also you are thinking ahead a bit, as you have not been diagnosed with testicular cancer, but it is worth mentioning that men can function well with one testicle and are not necessarily going to be infertile. But hopefully in your case it won't come to this. Most testicular lumps that doctors see are not cancerous. So although it is easier said than done try not to worry too much.

I hope this helps a little.

Please get back to us if you think it might  help. If you would like to telephone the number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Kind Regards,