Together we will beat cancer

Donate

I have been bleeding for 4 weeks non stop.

18 Sep 2019 21:00

Hi All,

I am 18 years old, and I have been on my period for 4 weeks now. There has not been a days rest. Before  I got this period I suffered with a migraine for 7 days and I had been getting horrible unusual discharge. I got the contraceptive implant put in 3 years ago, and I have last week just had my new one fitted. I raised my concerns with the nurse as last week I had been bleeding for 3 weeks non stop, and she said if I was still bleeding this week to come back. I went back today and she has gave me "Lucette" tablets. 1 to take every day for 3 months, no breaks. She said if I am still bleeding in 3 months time I should go back and see her and she will examine my cervix. I have been suffering with tiredness, bloated belly, belly pains. The reason for my post today is the nurse has not told me what could be the matter and I just feel like an experiment. Should i be concerened about bleeding for this long. I'm 18 and would just like some advice.

I have been bleeding for 4 weeks non stop.

19 Sep 2019 15:47 in response to sp12

Hello and thank you for posting a question. I am sorry to learn about the abnormal vaginal bleeding. This must be a nuisance for you. 

Abnormal vaginal bleeding is relatively common, particularly in women who have hormonal implants.  So I think that your situation is something that the nurse will have come across before and I would imagine that they have experience of dealing with women in similar situations. I must admit that as a cancer nurse I do not have a lot of experience  in sorting out this type of problem and so I cannot really offer you much in the way of advice about it. But I don't think that it is unusual to give another hormone (Licette is a hormone) to try to stop the bleeding.

I can also tell you that it is unlikely to be related to cancer as this is very uncommon in young women of  your age. The types of  symptoms that you have could be caused by a number of different conditions and are not specific to cancer. So on balance I think that this is unlikely to be due to anything serious and I don't think that you need to be overly worried. Having said this I can appreciate why you are concerned as you don't seem to have an explanation for what is going on. So if you can do try to get back to talk with the nurse to see if they can explain things more fully.

Please do get back to us if you think it might help. If you would Like to telephone the number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

All the best,

Jean