Cancer Research UK on Google+ Cancer Research UK on Facebook Cancer Research UK on Twitter
Donate

Let's beat cancer sooner

High Grade Severe Dyskaryosis

17 Nov 2017 12:29

Hi,

I have just turnt 25 and had my 1st smear test.

My results came back quicker than expected explain i have abnormal cells which are high grade severe dyskaryosis!

I panicked and am still panicking now, i had my referral letter come the same day advising i have a coloscopy appointment on Monday at 10:20am! When i read this letter i panicked even more than the result letter, but was also releifed as i know the NHS are deling with it quickly.

Just need some insight really, i have cancer in the family, and i am really scared that i have cervical cancer.

I have pain in my lower tummy most days but have had no bleeding etc.

I think i just need a bit more understanding of what high grade severe dyskaryosis is?

Help Sad xx

Re: High Grade Severe Dyskaryosis

20 Nov 2017 12:01 in response to Lauralou92

Hello Lauraloo and thanks for posting,

I am sorry we weren’t able to get back to you on Friday and hope you didn’t have too stressful a weekend. I realise that by now you will have had your colposcopy appointment. I hope this went well and that you aren’t so worried .

High grade dyskaryosis just means that some cervical cells look abnormal. It is easy to be panicked by the medical terminology, but this isn’t the same thing as cancer. The purpose of cervical smears is to pick up cells that are abnormal so these can be assessed further and if needed, treated to prevent cervical cancer from developing. The cervical screening programme is all about prevention.

You mentioned having tummy pain most days. Dyskaryosis doesn’t cause any symptoms, so it would be a good idea to see your GP to get this pain checked out to be on the safe side.  

I hope that you are feeling more settled now.  Do give us a call if there is anything you want to talk over. We are around Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm and  our number is 0808 800 4040.

All the best,

Julia 

7 Dec 2017 11:49 in response to CRUK Nurse Julia

Hi Julia,

I have only just seen your reply! Sorry for late response.

I had my coloscopy appointment, it wasn't pleasant but was glad when it was over and done with, they took biopsies whilst i was there.

I have received my results, they have advised i have CIN3.. could you just explain this a little more to me please?

I asked the nurse over the phone if I have cervical cancer or not and she advised the biopsy wouldn't of told them that.. is this true?

Does the biopsy tell you if cancer is present or not? I undertsand CIN3 is stage 0 but what exactly does that mean? I have read things and it seems to mean cancer in situ meaning the cancer is there but it is only on the surface?

I am awaiting a letter with an appoitnment to have treatment to remove the cells, i am being put to sleep for this. Is it possible for them to remove the cells and find cervical cancer is present?

Sorry for all the questions I am just very confused..I am only 25 and have never been through anything like this before, i have a friend who's sister was diagnosed with cervical cancer, hoping i could go to her for a bit of reussurance she is just being a bit harsh basically telling me it is nothing to worry about and i don't have cancer! i undertsand it must of been tough for her, but i'm sure she was at my stage once so knows how it feels, so im getting harsh words from my firends sister but then reading that CIN3 is stage 0 of cancer! So confused!

Please get back to me ASAP.

Thank you, Laura xx

7 Dec 2017 16:50 in response to Lauralou92

Hello Laura and thanks for getting back to us.

There is some information on our website about abnormal smears, CIN and how it is treated which you can get to through this link.

CIN (cervical intraepithelial neoplasia) isn’t cancer. It means abnormal cells have been found in the skin cells that cover the outside of the cervix (squamous cells). CIN is graded (by a tissue biopsy) from 1 to 3 depending on how deeply these abnormal cells go in this surface layer of skin. In CIN 3, there is an area where the full thickness of the lining covering the cervix has abnormal cells.

The cells in this surface layer of skin sit above a membrane. For cancer to develop they would need to grow through and down beneath this membrane. This is called invasion and can be seen when the biopsy is examined. You would have already been told if this has been seen.

Cervical screening is really about prevention and the idea is to pick up CIN3 and treat it so the cells don’t have the chance to invade. Sometimes very early cancers are detected in the screening programme, but when this happens they are usually what is called micro invasive. This means they have only just started to become cancer and are detected at a stage when treatment is very successful.

In truth, I can’t say there is absolutely no possibility that an area of micro invasive cancer could be found when you have your treatment, but on the whole I think it would be really unlikely and not something to worry a lot about, but I know this is easier said than done. 

Don’t let the medical terminology faze you. Carcinoma in situ means that the abnormal cells are all in one place. Zero means nothing so stage 0 speaks for itself. 

It is probably best not to read up too much online as it is likely to make you more worried.  I don’t suppose it will be easy to feel relaxed about this until everything is sorted out, but please try not to worry.

If you want to give us a call, please do, our number is 0808 800 4040 and we are here from Monday from Friday 9am to 5pm.

Best wishes,

Julia