Together we will beat cancer

Donate

Hi

13 Apr 2019 16:49

hi all... I’m new to this but just needed to chat to someone that maybe has what I do? I found a lump in the rIght side of my neck like between my ear and collarbone? It’s moveable and about the size of a pea/baked bean... it doesn’t hurt and you can’t see it but if I push on it I can feel it... i noticed it about 4 months ago (could of been there forever who knows) it hasn’t grown but it’s worrying me and I’m thinking the worst.... i want to see the doctor but I’m frightened of what he might say... I suffer from anxiety also which is making it worse 

Hi

13 Apr 2019 18:01 in response to Kleef1986

Hi Kleef1986. Welcome to the forum. I am NOT a doctor.

You've posted in the Ask the Nurses section, but since it's the weekend, they won't be back before monday so I'm taking the liberty of answering you now, so you don't have to wait.

The first thing you need to know is that most lumps are harmless!  We all get a collection of lumps which come and then go, and they do no harm.  I must emphasise that I'm not a doctor, but given your description and the location of the lump, I think it's likely to be a swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes are part of the immune system, and they swell up when there's an infection in your body.  Inside the node, a massive battle is going on where the body's defenses try to stop the infection from spreading further.  There are many lymph nodes around the neck, throat, and armpits and they guard the body against infectious agents that have entered the nose and mouth.

Most swollen nodes go down within a few weeks of fighting off an infection, but some never do and remain harmlessly swollen.  When you've had a node that's been swollen for a couple of months then it's probably best to show it to the doctor.  The doctor may be able identify it straightaway, and might possibly suggest a quick ultrasound scan of the node to make sure it's harmless.  Don't freak out if you're send for a scan, because most people have the scan and nothing wrong is found, but it's best to safe.

So, since it's been four months and you're beginning to get concerned, I suggest you go to your GP and get it checked out.  Please let us know how you get on, because your feedback helps us improve the qualify of our answers. 

Hi

15 Apr 2019 12:03 in response to Kleef1986

Hello Kleef and thanks for your post

I'm sorry that you are worried about a lump on your neck.There could be lots of reasons for this such as a blocked hair follicle or a viral or bacterial infection. So the chances are that this may be nothing to worry about.

We are unable to diagnose anyone on here and the best advice we can give is to go and see your doctor.

Although this can sometimes seem frightening, in most cases the symptoms will be caused by something else other than cancer. But it is always sensible to get any problems you have checked out to be on the safe side.Doctors know that patients get anxious and will do their best to make you feel at ease.

The NHS Moodzone website has some tips on managing anxiety and how to access support services which might be helpful for you.See how things go, but if you feel your mental health is slipping, please do talk this through with your GP. 

I hope this helps.Give us a ring if you would like to talk anything over. The number to call is Freephone 0808 800 4040 and the lines are open from 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday.

Kind Regards,

Celene